Rhubarb Ginger Beer Compote recipe, NYTimes

Posted (edited)

A friend is asking for a recipe I made for her decades ago (and I have absolutely no memory of doing so 😁), a rhubarb compote made with ginger beer.  I think this is it but it's behind a paywall. https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/rhubarb-and-ginger-compote/  Any Washington Post subscribers who can see it and willing to paste the recipe here? 

Edited by poolboy48220
typo

Rhubarb and Ginger Compote

Serve chilled by itself, or with lightly sweetened whipped cream, ricotta cheese or softened mascarpone cheese.

Ingredients

Servings: 4
  • 1 pound fresh rhubarb
  • 1-inch piece peeled ginger root, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
  • 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup sugar, or to taste
  • 1/2 cup ginger wine, ginger beer, unsweetened apple cider or water
  • 2 strips lemon peel (no white pith)

Directions

1. Step 1

Wash the rhubarb and discard any leafy tops. Cut the rhubarb stalks into 1-inch slices.

2. Step 2

Combine the rhubarb, ginger, sugar to taste, and one of the following—ginger wine, ginger beer, apple cider or water— and the lemon peel in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir and cover. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the rhubarb is tender but not falling apart. Take care to stir the compote occasionally, or it may boil over.

3. Step 3

Uncover and cool to room temperature. Discard the lemon peel, if desired. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until well chilled before serving.

Sounds really good. Knott’s Berry Farm here in SoCal serves a cherry rhubarb  kind of sauce/compote at their famous fried chicken restaurant. My mom loves rhubarb pie, I make it a few times a year for her.

IMG_1275.jpeg

4 hours ago, leeper said:

Rhubarb and Ginger Compote

Serve chilled by itself, or with lightly sweetened whipped cream, ricotta cheese or softened mascarpone cheese.

Ingredients

Servings: 4
  • 1 pound fresh rhubarb
  • 1-inch piece peeled ginger root, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
  • 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup sugar, or to taste
  • 1/2 cup ginger wine, ginger beer, unsweetened apple cider or water
  • 2 strips lemon peel (no white pith)

Directions

1. Step 1

Wash the rhubarb and discard any leafy tops. Cut the rhubarb stalks into 1-inch slices.

2. Step 2

Combine the rhubarb, ginger, sugar to taste, and one of the following—ginger wine, ginger beer, apple cider or water— and the lemon peel in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir and cover. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the rhubarb is tender but not falling apart. Take care to stir the compote occasionally, or it may boil over.

3. Step 3

Uncover and cool to room temperature. Discard the lemon peel, if desired. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until well chilled before serving.

Thank you so much!