How long till Dow Jones hits 40,000 and S&P 5,000?

• marylander1940 changed the title to How long till Dow Jones hits 40,000?
10 minutes ago, Kevin Slater said:

I hate the Dow as a metric.  How 'bout the S&P at 5,000?

Kevin Slater

WWW.FOOL.COM

The S&P 500 soared 8.9% in November. Monthly returns of that magnitude have historically signaled further gains in the stock market.

Than you! 

Name of the thread updated!

• marylander1940 changed the title to How long till Dow Jones hits 40,000 and S&P 5,000?
3 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

Funny because my Dad with his 401k is only interested in the Nasdaq! 🤣

My take on the indices is the same as @Kevin Slater's that the Dow is not a good representation of the overall state of the market, and that the wider S&P is better. That doesn't mean that they will offer divergent scores of where the market is, just that using the Dow brings the risks that any small sample size has for measuring a larger 'population'. Picking a different index (such as the Nasdaq) as the basis for an investment strategy is a different decision process. It's a discrete share of the overall market, and concentrating on such a slice of the market is not an unusual strategy.

5 hours ago, mike carey said:

My take on the indices is the same as @Kevin Slater's that the Dow is not a good representation of the overall state of the market, and that the wider S&P is better. That doesn't mean that they will offer divergent scores of where the market is, just that using the Dow brings the risks that any small sample size has for measuring a larger 'population'. Picking a different index (such as the Nasdaq) as the basis for an investment strategy is a different decision process. It's a discrete share of the overall market, and concentrating on such a slice of the market is not an unusual strategy.

All of that, and the moronic way it weighs the components (by ticker price rather than the far more rational market cap).  So if a stock splits say four-for-one, it loses three quarters of its weighting in the DJIA.  And many stocks simply cannot be added to the index because their nominal stock price would override all other components of the index.  Apple was excluded from the Dow until it issued a seven-for-one split which just happened to put make it eligible for the index.

Kevin Slater

21 hours ago, mike carey said:

Great points.  This should be factored in, too.

spacer.png

I have this running debate with my investment pen pal nephew about passive investing.  He tends to think that it sucks, and is damaging the market.  Because we are now all mindless investors, funneling oodles of money into whatever some algorithm thinks will make us the most money.  I tend to disagree.  There are worse capital allocation methods out there.  Xi Whiz castrated Jack Ma, even though the Chinese love him.  Just because he viewed Ma as a threat.  Passive investors are bankrolling the Jack Ma's of America and the West.  Forgive me for my bias, but this is why I'd bet on America and the West to win the tech race.  You could say we put our money where our mouth is.

I got kicked over to Schwab earlier this year due to an Ameritrade merger.  So it is interesting to see what is winning and losing since that happened.  Most of the tech stocks or indexes I hold are doing great:  SOXL, FNGU, AAPL, OLED.  Because they are mostly the big winners.  And I imagine tons of passive funds go into them, and make them even bigger winners.  I bought some other profitable tech stocks a few months ago that I thought were good buy on the dip opportunities, like ALGM and INTT.  They both have relatively low PE's, that are less than half their 3 to 5 year average PE.  But so far they've just gone down more.  So even within tech my impression is it's a narrow winner's market. 

As that first chart above suggests, this is building a big bubble, just like in the 90's.   At some point it will crash.  Meanwhile, enjoy the ride.  Like sex, it's always fun while it lasts.

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2024 at 9:14 AM, Kevin Slater said:

If Meta's gains hold til the close, it'll be the largest single-day market cap gain in history.

Kevin Slater

It did.  Ironically, they were also the biggest loser almost two years ago to the date.

Loser: Meta Platforms

The drop in market value over a single day of trading was on Feb. 3, 2022, when Meta Platforms Inc. (META) operating as Facebook, lost $232 billion in market value. This surpasses the previous largest single-day loss held by Apple Inc. (AAPL) only 17 months earlier.

Glenn Neely, who has a habit of predicting big market moves in advance - starting with the 80/90's bull market - pontificated last Summer that we will have a one year rally that will lead the S & P to something like 5500.  That was when the S & P was at about 4500.  I think of wave theory as kind of voodoo.  But so far his voodoo is at least half right.  I'm betting on the fact that he will be mostly right before - wait for it -  wait for it -  wait for it -  what goes up must come down. 

Speaking of which, here's what Neely predicted in January 2008:  the S & P, at about 1400, was headed into a big bear market.  And the most volatile version could quickly lead to some number in the 600's.  The actual bottom was 667. 

spacer.png

So his voodoo has worked awfully well at calling big market moves before.  I'm hoping he is right again.

For now, I've been plowing money into FNGU and SOXL since last Summer.  And they are both up over 50 %, thanks to META and its ilk.

I am very concerned.  Nvidia is basically a Chinese company with an address in the U.S.  That $2T valuation is based on a dream.  Their sales last year were 1/80 that valuation.  They make everything in China and Tawain.  God only knows what secrets the Chinese are hiding it those chips.

AI will crash and burn because it can't be controlled, predicted, or reliably safeguarded and will ultimately be curtailed as a national security threat.  Remember Skynet?  The stock market is on very shaky ground.  I don’t think this will end well.  Buy consumer staples and energy stocks, which have reasonable p/e's and good dividends.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Atyla said:

How often do you guys check your portfolios?

I don't buy individual stocks but rather mutual funds and the vast majority of my investments are retirement related. That said my focus on my portfolio is erratic, sometimes several months can go by and other times I may be checking daily. I guess it all depends on what's going on in the market and the world.

Edited by Boaxxx