Merrily We Roll Along

Rod Hagen

Boy did that get a good review this week!

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Jonathan Groff, supported by Daniel Radcliffe and Lindsay Mendez, is thrillingly fierce in the first convincing revival of the cult flop Sondheim musical.

So then I looked at tickets for when I'm in NYC this weekend.  My goodness, it's been a few years, when did that happen to theater prices?

I’ve seen Jonathan Groff in several Broadway shows. He’s always terrific. A few years ago I saw Once On This Island and he was sitting next to me. We talked a bit during intermission and later I saw him talking to some fans in the lobby. He’ a very nice guy in person. He’s received the best reviews for this show. I’m going to the box office in a few days to see if I can get a decent ticket that doesn’t cost a huge fortune. 

On 10/12/2023 at 10:26 AM, Rod Hagen said:

Boy did that get a good review this week!

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Jonathan Groff, supported by Daniel Radcliffe and Lindsay Mendez, is thrillingly fierce in the first convincing revival of the cult flop Sondheim musical.

So then I looked at tickets for when I'm in NYC this weekend.  My goodness, it's been a few years, when did that happen to theater prices?

It happened during the end of the pandemic.  For some odd reason, TPTB thought a great way to recoup what they lost during the pandemic would be for them to jack up ticket prices for every production (and you can see what I mean by 'jack up').  This has been a major factor in why average theater-goers and tourists (many on a budget) have stayed away from Broadway, and so many new shows -including revivals - have closed early.  Unless the show had a 'name' above the title to command the high prices (such as Hugh Jackman in 'The Music Man', SJP in 'Plaza Suite', Josh Groban in 'Sweeney Todd', or Lea Michele in 'Funny Girl'), the tickets were simply not selling.  Once the 'star' left the show, or called out sick from a performance - the tickets didn't sell. What's really odd is many of the producers haven't discounted the prices - so many productions (including 'Some Like It Hot') have been playing to half-empty houses the past year, which is a real head-scratcher. 

It will be interesting to see if Daniel Radcliffe is a 'name' to sell high-priced tickets. 

Edited by Ali Gator

Today I got a ticket for Merrily We Roll Along, row Q, center orchestra for a Wednesday matinee. It was $209. Not too bad. Looking forward to seeing it. I’ve seen Jonathan Groff in a number of plays, most recently in Little Shop of Horrors. 
But I’ve also seen Daniel Radcliffe in Equus, How To Succeed In Busuness, The Cripple of Iriishmaan and The Lifespan of a Fact. Considering he’s worth a staggering fortune thanks to the Harry Potter movies he could certainly live a life of luxury never having to work again. Yet he picks challenging projects and has been really, really good in all of them.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love this cast and wish I was still living in the U.S. so I could see them. The only person I've seen performing live was Lindsay Mendez when she was doing Godspell. She blew me away, and my wig has been MIA since then. She also served me juice during intermission when they allowed people to peruse the stage. Also, a sweetheart at the stage door.