Olympian Mary Lou Retton 'fighting for her life' in ICU

Ali Gator

According to her daughter, 55 year old Gold Medal Olympian winner Mary Lou Retton has been in the ICU for the past week 'fighting for her life' as she battles a 'rare form of pneumonia'. McKenna Lane Kelley has posted an on-line fundraiser for her mother's medical care, and says she has not been able to breathe on her own since being admitted more than a week ago.

Kelley has acknowledged her mother - who has had multiple endorsement deals over the past four decades since becoming the first American woman to win all-around gymnastics gold at the Olympics - has no health insurance, but would not give any more details.  Kelley, a gymnast herself and the second of Retton's four daughters, says all money raised will pay for her medical care. On Tuesday, Kelley shared the story to her Instagram, with a link to the fundraiser on a Spotfund page. In the past 24 hours, she has raised over $180,000 for her mother's bills, surpassing her goal of $50,000, with nearly 4,000 donors. 

In 1984, Retton made Olympic history at the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles by becoming the first American to win an individual all-around gold medal, despite having knee surgery just weeks before the events. Retton scored perfect 10s across the board, beating out Romania's Ecaterina Szabo by 0.05 points. She also took home the Silver and the Bronze in separate categories that summer. Following her 1984 wins, she began lucrative endorsement deals (starting with the breakfast cereal 'Wheaties') and spokesperson deals which continued for the next few decades. She married football player Shannon Kelley in 1990, and had four daughters with him. The couple divorced in 2018, after 28 years of marriage.  

I recently saw a TV commercial featuring Mary Lou Retton as the spokesperson, and as I looked at her, I sensed that she was not looking well, but I didn't think it could be this serious.  Hopefully, she responds well to treatment.

Supposedly (I don't know how true this is - I read it online), one of her daughters did talk to her local media, and revealed that her mother is battling Covid, as she has never gotten any vaccinations for the illness. She thought the public already knew, and was taken aback when the interviewer questioned her further (she didn't know her sister said 'pneumonia' to the press). Again, not sure how true this is - but this was making the message forums earlier today. 

Her daughter is now saying she is making "remarkable progress" in her recovery, though remains in the ICU. According to an Instagram update, she is responding well to the treatment for pneumonia (though still not clarifying what kind of pneumonia, or if it is indeed Covid - as leaked out the other day). 

“Her breathing is becoming stronger, and her reliance on machines is diminishing,” McKenna Kelly wrote.  “Though it’s a lengthy journey, witnessing these improvements is incredibly heartening! She’s beginning to respond to treatments.”

This past Tuesday, her daughter opened up a 'Spotfundme' page, saying her mother has no health insurance and was looking for donors to reach a $50,000 goal. Latest figures show nearly 8,000 people have donated, and the total donations is close to 10 times the goal - nearly $500,000 has been taken in so far. 

Once the statement came out that she was doing better last weekend, donation to the fundraising page started slowing down drastically in the following days.  Interestingly, a new tweet went out in the middle of this past week, letting the public know she was back to 'struggling with her breathing' and 'battling to save her life' as her health turned for the worse.  And the donations shot up again. As of today, she's $40K away from half a million dollars. 

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  

26 minutes ago, Ali Gator said:

Once the statement came out that she was doing better last weekend, donation to the fundraising page started slowing down drastically in the following days.  Interestingly, a new tweet went out in the middle of this past week, letting the public know she was back to 'struggling with her breathing' and 'battling to save her life' as her health turned for the worse.  And the donations shot up again. As of today, she's $40K away from half a million dollars. 

I am not sure how I feel about this. Her luxury home was featured in a magazine in 2022 and she is estimated to be worth more than $2mil. Surely they dont need other people’s charity?? 

32 minutes ago, FrankR said:

I am not sure how I feel about this. Her luxury home was featured in a magazine in 2022 and she is estimated to be worth more than $2mil. Surely they dont need other people’s charity?? 

There are many people questioning this. Many people. Yet, the family is providing no answers - the most basic question being "Why doesn't she have health insurance with all her money ?" 

Looks like MLR has come home to recuperate, with $459,304 now in her bank account. That's $409,304 more than the Spotfundme goal was set at two weeks ago.

PEOPLE.COM

Mary Lou Retton is home from the hospital and 'in recovery mode,' her daughter McKenna Kelley shared Monday following the former gymnast's multi-week...

• 2 months later...
On 10/23/2023 at 11:32 PM, Ali Gator said:

Looks like MLR has come home to recuperate, with $459,304 now in her bank account. That's $409,304 more than the Spotfundme goal was set at two weeks ago.

PEOPLE.COM

Mary Lou Retton is home from the hospital and 'in recovery mode,' her daughter McKenna Kelley shared Monday following the former gymnast's multi-week...

The whole thing is (still) just weird. Call me nuts, but from the numbers mentioned in the article it is hard to understand how she got herself into this position.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/brennan/2024/01/06/mary-lou-retton-nearly-half-million-dollars-donations-how-spent/72132567007/

Retton sat down for an interview with Hoda Kotb on 'Today' this past week. She didn't answer any questions on what she was diagnosed with, why she didn't have health insurance, etc. - she gave very vague, hazy answers. She claims she didn't remember much of what happened that day. She made no mention of how much money she grifted from fans on her GFM page.  And Hoda - horrible journalist that she is - didn't push for any definitive answers. She just laughed and smiled like a donkey. 

There's something very strange about this whole situation and I think the truth will leak out eventually (and it won't be pretty). 

On 10/22/2023 at 10:21 AM, Ali Gator said:

On 10/22/2023 at 10:50 AM, FrankR said:

On 1/8/2024 at 1:14 AM, FrankR said:

The whole thing is (still) just weird. Call me nuts, but from the numbers mentioned in the article it is hard to understand how she got herself into this position.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/brennan/2024/01/06/mary-lou-retton-nearly-half-million-dollars-donations-how-spent/72132567007/

If she needs money, she can just sign an endorsement deal to put her face on a box of GRIFTees.