Savannah, GA

Kauaipres

Please don't go to Paula Deen's The Lady & Sons.  It's a tourist trap.  They come by the bus full.

The Grey is solid.  Great dining room too.

Mrs WIlkes Dining Room is a must-do.  Ridiculously good low-country cuisine.

If you want to live out your Barbie dreamhouse fantasy, stop into the Olde Pink House.  Great dinner service.  Nice place to get a little silly in the tavern while listening to a really great piano player.

I love Treylor Park, as they do fried bologna & onion sandwiches.  A favorite of mine.

Enjoy the city.  It's unique and ridiculously photogenic.  Try not to mention 'the book' to too many locals ;)

On 7/18/2023 at 12:25 PM, Kauaipres said:

Traveling to Savannah in late October for a long weekend.

I’m sorry. I was there a year ago and I pretty much hated it.

I'm a foodie.  Where should we eat?

I can’t help you here. Every meal I had was horrible. I tried TripAdvisor. I tried hotel concierge recommendations. I tried calling friends who had kids in school in Savannah for suggestions. It was basically 3 days of inedible food. It was almost comical. I was trying so hard to like it, and I failed so miserably.

Do we need to rent a car?

Depends. "Downtown" is fairly compact and you can walk most places. It felt very safe to me. I needed to go out into the boondocks so I had to have a car, but I didn’t use it much. 

Staying at Perry Lane Hotel.

I stayed there. It’s a very nice hotel. Kind of odd that it’s split on two sides of the street, but it’s the nicest hotel in Savannah. Breakfast was good, and kept me alive for the 3 days I was there. 

I’m sorry I’m not more help, but Savannah is a dump in my book. 

Years ago I use to do consulting for Gulfstream which is based in Savannah but only got to spend one day downtown.  It's a beautiful and compact city with a lot of history.  There's great shopping and unique stores and the downtown is completely walkable and very enjoyable.  There's really nothing of note to see outside of downtown so a car might not be necessary for you.  One highlight was the Bohemian Hotel on the riverfront.  There's nice rooftop bar overlooking the river and I thought the lunch there was good and not too expensive.

I really enjoyed my time there and hope to get back down there soon.  October should be perfect weather, the summers were horrible with the heat and humidity.

• 3 months later...

Friends:  We had a great time last week.  Perry Lane Hotel gets a solid 4.5/5.  We got a nice upgraded room.   Rooftop bar and pool was fun.  Lots of eye candy.  Had a blast on a ghost walk one night. Fun way to walk the neighborhoods.  Great food at some fun places.  And the sex was incredible throughout the trip. (Tried to get him to have some fun at the pool, but the hotel's cameras cockblocked me!)