Cinema mourns enigmatic Austrian star Helmut Berger 1944-2023

marylander1940

• marylander1940 changed the title to Cinema mourns enigmatic Austrian star Helmut Berger 1944-2023

I didn't see many of his films but read about him throughout his career. He seemed to be the quintessential European leading man actor in his time. Blond good looks, vaguely ambiguous sexuality, sophisticated manners and appeared in films by some of the great European directors of his era.

I don't recall him appearing in films made by Americans.

Yes, Berger made films by Americans and acted in several long running American tv series, like "Dynasty."  Wiki says" In the late 1960s and 1970s, Berger was seen as the "it boy of the European jet set". According to his 1998 autobiography Ich. Die Autobiographie, the actor's affairs included flings with Rudolf Nureyev, Britt Ekland, Ursula Andress, Nathalie Delon, Tab Hunter, Florinda Bolkan, Linda Blair, Marisa Mell, Anita Pallenberg, Marilù Tolo, Jerry Hall, and both Bianca and Mick Jagger. Miguel Bosé writes about his affair with Berger in his autobiography. He had longrunning affairs with director Luchino Visconti and actress Marisa Berenson.

2 minutes ago, Karl-G said:

Yes, Berger made films by Americans and acted in several long running American tv series, like "Dynasty."  Wiki says" In the late 1960s and 1970s, Berger was seen as the "it boy of the European jet set". According to his 1998 autobiography Ich. Die Autobiographie, the actor's affairs included flings with Rudolf Nureyev, Britt Ekland, Ursula Andress, Nathalie Delon, Tab Hunter, Florinda Bolkan, Linda Blair, Marisa Mell, Anita Pallenberg, Marilù Tolo, Jerry Hall, and both Bianca and Mick Jagger. Miguel Bosé writes about his affair with Berger in his autobiography. He had longrunning affairs with director Luchino Visconti and actress Marisa Berenson.

Gee, that's a lot of people he bedded. I'm guessing he was a top?

Helmut+Berger+today+and+1970.jpg

Above a picture of him in recent years, here 2 interesting articles about his life!

Visconti-fell-in-love-with-this-young-ma
IMAGEAMPLIFIED.COM

“When I was young, I wanted to be seduced. Now I take all the pretty young men into my bed and say: ‘Rock me, babe.’” TRQ: Helmut Berger, Born May 29, 1944 Actor...

Dorian+Gray+1970.JPG
LECINEMADREAMS.BLOGSPOT.COM

"Dorian Gray" (1970) movie. Helmut Berger plays the youth-obsessed portrait subject in this modern update of Oscar Wilde's 1890 novel. Herbert Lom