Is is too late for me to give up oral sex?

Beancounter

28 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Another reason to get the HPV vaccine.

But available only for teens up to 20 something and if you are to age 45 can talk to your doctor. Beyond that, too late it seems.... I missed the boat :( 

Edited by JUWS

8 minutes ago, JUWS said:

But it's not available for anyone past their 40s I believe, no?

Not tested or approved, and insurance definitely won't cover the ~$300 cost, but as an avowed cocksucker, I've considered getting it. 

1 minute ago, Unicorn said:

Not tested or approved, and insurance definitely won't cover the ~$300 cost, but as an avowed cocksucker, I've considered getting it. 

I hear ya! :)  Maybe need to talk to my doctor, or doctors for more than 1 opinion! 

I was just a year past 45 when they upped the age range to that. I asked my dermatologist if I should get it anyway and she said yes, and there was apparently some hope it had benefits even for those previously exposed.

Especially anyone who got a late start in sexual activity should get it even if they're older. They originally only approved it up to 26. I was a virgin at 27!

Also fight for your insurance to cover it. It took a year but eventually an independent panel found it to be “medically necessary” for me after multiple insurance rejections.  Now I was willing to pay out of pocket so the coverage was a bonus.  

3 minutes ago, Colton said:

Also fight for your insurance to cover it. It took a year but eventually an independent panel found it to be “medically necessary” for me after multiple insurance rejections.  Now I was willing to pay out of pocket so the coverage was a bonus.  

How old are you?

On 4/28/2023 at 10:51 PM, Colton said:

It was before the age range expansion and I was past 30 at the time, so out of range.  

It's approved to age 45 now. When the vaccine first came out, the scientists believed the vaccine only worked if one had received the vaccine prior to being exposed (like the majority, but not all, vaccines). This is why we were trying to get them in the arms of kids before they had sex, as young as age 9. Since then, data have suggested that the vaccine lessens the risk of cancer even in people who've been exposed (such as the shingles vaccine, or, up to a limit, the rabies vaccine). If you're 45 or less, you should be able to get it. Throat cancer is really awful. All cancers are terrible, but, trust me, throat cancer's worse than most. 

th-statpearls-lrg.png
WWW.NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV

Oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma (OPSCC), commonly known as throat cancer or tonsil cancer, refers to the cancer of the middle part of the pharynx, known...

"...Oropharyngeal cancer is the sixth most common cancer worldwide [8]. HPV 16 is responsible for almost 90% of HPV-positive oropharyngeal cancers, and the prevalence is higher in males than females [9][10]. The presence of HPV-associated OPSCC is much higher in the tonsils and base of the tongue. HPV-associated OPSCC tends to occur in a younger population that smoke and drink less; a higher percentage of them are males and report more oral sex partners..." (the vaccine protects against HPV-16).

Edited by Unicorn