Chita Rivera's one woman show

Anyone else seen it yet.   It is doing a very limited tour of her performing one night in various venues with Seth Rudetsky as her painist.

I listen to Seth's show on Sirius and have started reading his book and thought he was funny even though a little obnoxious and loved Chita in the Visit and Nine.   She was in Newark a couple weeks ago when I was in NYC and bought a ticket and regret wasting the money and time on the train to get there.

Her voice is starting to go, but she did a number with some dancing and still has amazing moves for being 90 years old.

My issue with the show was it was a little over 90 minutes long and she only did six songs.   It was more like watching a talk show.   They had a little sitting area on the stage and she would only do one song then her and Seht would talk for a good minutes and they would show video clips of her and on the few songs she did perform Seth would perform with her.   It was almost like Seth was doing the show with her as a guest.

Realistically, the woman is 91 years old.  You could not expect her to be singing and dancing for 90 minutes. Six songs at 3 to 5 minutes each would bring it to 1/4 of the show was her performing and 3/4 was Chita being Chita.  I was at a restaurant and she came in to a grand entrance.  This was more than 20 years ago and she looked every bit like a 70 year old.  So this account is not that surprising.  

7 hours ago, purplekow said:

Realistically, the woman is 91 years old.  You could not expect her to be singing and dancing for 90 minutes. Six songs at 3 to 5 minutes each would bring it to 1/4 of the show was her performing and 3/4 was Chita being Chita.  I was at a restaurant and she came in to a grand entrance.  This was more than 20 years ago and she looked every bit like a 70 year old.  So this account is not that surprising.  

I know she is 90 and looks great for her age and didn't expect her to sing the entire time and was surprised she had no intermission but was hoping she would have done more than five or six songs.   

I saw her perfrom in the Visit and that was a show with no intermission and I think she did more songs in that show.   She was remarkable in the and was in her 80s and did a signing after the show.

I no longer will watch most of what Seth is involved in

He's unable to stop himself from being himself and can't just be a selfless, listening, great interviewer.

It reminds me of the same massive annoyance I often feel when watching old Dick Cavett reruns. 

Edited by BenjaminNicholas

• 2 months later...
On 4/11/2023 at 1:47 AM, BenjaminNicholas said:

I no longer will watch most of what Seth is involved in

He's unable to stop himself from being himself and can't just be a selfless, listening, great interviewer.

It reminds me of the same massive annoyance I often feel when watching old Dick Cavett reruns. 

Friend of mine saw Seth perform with someone and felt the same way and said like with Chita he wanted to be the star of the show instead of the accomoniast..   I can just imagine what one of his Broadway cruises would be like.

I love the Sirius broadway channel and some of the interviews he can be iritating as well.   I love his "dueling divas" show he does on Saturday with Chrstine Pedi.   I'd love to see one of Christine Pedi's live performances but she always does them during the week.   Her Youtube videos doing the impersonations are great and I enjoy listening to her in the morning on Sirius.