Tipping at an NYC Spa

Kody S

The subject of tipping at a Spa has been discussed before but it’s been a while and times are changing and pricing of non-spa masseurs have risen in NYC since before covid. What do you consider to be a reasonable standard tip (as a percentage of the massage fee) for a masseur who has done a good job with basic services? I know this varies widely, but I’m trying to evaluate if I am tipping too much or too little. 

27 minutes ago, Kody S said:

The subject of tipping at a Spa has been discussed before but it’s been a while and times are changing and pricing of non-spa masseurs have risen in NYC since before covid. What do you consider to be a reasonable standard tip (as a percentage of the massage fee) for a masseur who has done a good job with basic services? I know this varies widely, but I’m trying to evaluate if I am tipping too much or too little. 

As a start, what are you tipping?

Honestly it depends on a few factors for me…

1. The price of the massage 

2. how the massage is

3. if I leave happy

4. if they allow MT 

5. if they ask how much I’m tipping/ ask me how much I’ll pay for x,y,z

6. What we actually do

7. if I’ve seen him before

8. if I want to see him again

There’s no specific formula but I feel weird if I give less than 80% of the massage cost. If it’s above and beyond - like this one guy I see regularly- I usually give him a 175% tip. So 

Sorry if this was a long winded answer but my philosophy is treat them right if they treated you right.