Spamming

This topic is 6494 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Over the weekend it was brought to my attention that someone has been using my online user name and variations of it to send out spam. I do not use gmail or any other email account other then Yahoo. If you recieve any kind of email that is not from SEABOY4HIRE@YAHOO.COM it is not me. Sorry if this has caused any confusion for anyone.

Hugs,

Greg

seaboy4hire@yahoo.com http://seaboy4hire.tripod.com

CHICAGO June 14-18, NYC June 27-July 01

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/NobodyKnowsMe/sinz.gif

Sadly, if someone is determined enough they can even send email from SEABOY4HIRE@YAHOO.COM, and it still won't be from you. <sigh>

And they don't even have to be that determined. It's mighty easy. x(

But the technology allows it (just as people can use false ID's on message boards) and some people just can't resist exploiting it.

• 2 months later...
Guest Ryker

Does anyone know how to STOP that? The offenders have been using my full email address, MasterRyker@yahoo.com for several days. I forwarded one to yahoo and they said if the offenders are changing the header info (as they do in mine) there is nothing they can do. I questioned the Nod32 Security guys about it and they called it "spoofing" and also said nothing could be done.

They are easy to identify because they always start the subject line with "GWD:..." which I assume is a typo of "FWD:..." They always have attachments, which I assume are malicious. I have no idea how many people might be receiving these or who they might be.

I found out because one of my other email addresses received one of these fraudulent emails.

If it's that easy to do, and seemingly nothing can be done about it, isn't the integrity of the entire world of email communications at risk? No one can ever tell if an email is really coming from the person that the sender line says it is coming from.

>If it's that easy to do, and seemingly nothing can be done

>about it, isn't the integrity of the entire world of email

>communications at risk?

It *IS* that easy, and no, nothing can be done about it. Email has never been either secure or a reliable mode of communication. It's far worse today, made worse partly because it has become so popular.

>No one can ever tell if an email is

>really coming from the person that the sender line says it is

>coming from.

It's a huge problem in business. Much is being invested in spam filters, etc. -- just yesterday our spam filter at the office deleted legitimate mail from my boss to me on our own internal mail system.

Archived