Workout app recommendations

KeepItReal

Back when I was seriously working out, I kept track of exercise/sets/reps on a Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet (yes, I am that old). For the last 15 years or so I have been doing it mentally, but not doing a very good job.  Does anyone have a solid workout app that will help me track, but also suggest exercises and help keep my workouts interesting and fresh. 

Basically looking for an app that will

1. ask me for my current shape (excellent/pro, of course) 

2. then ask me what I want to work on (back and chest or the more modern push/pull approach)

3. then suggest exercises based on that and help me keep track of sets/reps/weight

I travel for work a great deal, so need something I can keep on my phone. 💪

Thanks!

KiR

If you're willing to wear an Apple Watch, I'd suggest the Peloton app.

The watch handles the tracking of real-time stats and you only really need sets of three weights (15/25/35 in my case).

Peloton also offers a wide variety of bodyweight classes, yoga, etc.  Things that have nothing to do with dumbells.

If and when you want to, you can also use the app on any treadmill or rower.  

The variety of classes are huge.  The instructors are engaging and real.

20 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

If you're willing to wear an Apple Watch, I'd suggest the Peloton app.

The watch handles the tracking of real-time stats and you only really need sets of three weights (15/25/35 in my case).

Peloton also offers a wide variety of bodyweight classes, yoga, etc.  Things that have nothing to do with dumbells.

If and when you want to, you can also use the app on any treadmill or rower.  

The variety of classes are huge.  The instructors are engaging and real.

Aahh... you see right through me! I am trying hard to avoid the apple watch (I really don't need one more thing to charge...)

My other dysfunction is my allergic reaction to recurring monthly fees! 🤧 Too many subscriptions are already picking my pocket! But I guess you get what you pay for when it comes to apps...

If you have an Apple Watch you should also look into CoPilot (formerly DeltaTrainer).  It’s similar to Future (more expensive but probably sleeker) in that you get an assigned trainer who makes routines for you and can give feedback based on what the watch tracks.  I found it to be relatively affordable but I may be grandfathered with low rates. My trainer is also really good.   If you DM me, happy to share a free month code. 

• 3 weeks later...

The "interesting and fresh" approach to resistance training is fitness industry bullshit.

If you keep your sets consistent, short, and simply build the resistance regularly and in small (1/4 pound or 1/2 pound) increments, you will have best results.  (you can use an old school paper and pencil to record, and build on, your progress.) 

When individuals crave variety, I encourage them to stick with short, consistent 2x/weekly resistance routine, but mix in actual sports.  Climbing, Yoga, Mountain Biking, Snowboarding, Swimming, Biking. Even those awful ball sports will do, in a pinch.

Unless you are training for competition, tracking any of that shit, except the resistance training, isn't particularly helpful.  

Edited by Rod Hagen