How often do you turn a casual interaction into a hookup?

FrankR

This morning I had a casual interaction with a guy at the grocery store.  I get the sense it could have turned into a hookup but did not pursue...how often do you manage to make a casual interaction work as a hookup?

Here's what happened.  It was early morning on a Sunday, so the store only had one check-out open; there were very few people around and we were the only two people in line.  I recognized him from his Grindr profile, we hooked up once about 3 years ago - he was ahead of me and his card got declined. He tried a second card and it happened again.  He was very embarrassed... it looked like he had just stepped outside to pickup a few things for breakfast, was dressed in running shorts and a tshirt and he didn't have a wallet, just a phone with a few cards in the sleeve of the phone. I guess I am aging myself by expecting a guy to have an actual wallet with cash!  His Grindr profile indicates that he just moved back to the city after a few years away, and I have no knowledge of his financial situation, but felt the need to step in and do a good deed.  So I said: "I hate it when that happens.  Damn banks can never get it right".  I slipped him two fifties and said in a low voice - "Just pay it forward sometime".  His expression changed from embarrassment to confusion, to surprise, back to embarrassment.  It was adorable!  He thanked me and left.  My card did not get declined (thank goodness!).  He was waiting for me outside.  He thanked me again, but it was on the cusp of getting a little awkward - I sensed that he kinda recognized me but maybe wasn't sure...  So I just said: "It's totally fine, it happens to all of us - good to see you, it's been a while!"  Gave a friendly smile and wave and went on my way. 

Is it wrong that I hope he hits me up on Grindr tonight?? 😋  

2 hours ago, FrankR said:

This morning I had a casual interaction with a guy at the grocery store.  I get the sense it could have turned into a hookup but did not pursue...how often do you manage to make a casual interaction work as a hookup?

Here's what happened.  It was early morning on a Sunday, so the store only had one check-out open; there were very few people around and we were the only two people in line.  I recognized him from his Grindr profile, we hooked up once about 3 years ago - he was ahead of me and his card got declined. He tried a second card and it happened again.  He was very embarrassed... it looked like he had just stepped outside to pickup a few things for breakfast, was dressed in running shorts and a tshirt and he didn't have a wallet, just a phone with a few cards in the sleeve of the phone. I guess I am aging myself by expecting a guy to have an actual wallet with cash!  His Grindr profile indicates that he just moved back to the city after a few years away, and I have no knowledge of his financial situation, but felt the need to step in and do a good deed.  So I said: "I hate it when that happens.  Damn banks can never get it right".  I slipped him two fifties and said in a low voice - "Just pay it forward sometime".  His expression changed from embarrassment to confusion, to surprise, back to embarrassment.  It was adorable!  He thanked me and left.  My card did not get declined (thank goodness!).  He was waiting for me outside.  He thanked me again, but it was on the cusp of getting a little awkward - I sensed that he kinda recognized me but maybe wasn't sure...  So I just said: "It's totally fine, it happens to all of us - good to see you, it's been a while!"  Gave a friendly smile and wave and went on my way. 

Is it wrong that I hope he hits me up on Grindr tonight?? 😋  

I get cruised sometimes at the store, at the park or even on the train.  There was a time when I made full use of all opportunities, but nowadays I am a little more cir-CUM-spect.  😄  Hope you get a call back - good deeds should be rewarded! 

spacer.png