THE ORVILLE began its new season today on Hulu

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 8:25 AM, poolboy48220 said:

I liked Orville, but the geek in me wishes they'd spent a bit more on sets. The bridge looks like they got some of the prop furniture from Office Depot.

I got stuck watching the first season. Maybe my expectations were too high. Couldnt figure out if the show was intended to be a parody or a serious but seriously quirky show. Does it get better towards the end of season 1 and into the following seasons? 

1 hour ago, FrankR said:

Does it get better towards the end of season 1 and into the following seasons? 

I thought so, though it never became anything especially wonderful.  MacFarlane says they originally tried too hard to straddle the serious/comic line.

Of course, he wouldn't have to try too hard to straddle me.

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2022 at 8:25 AM, poolboy48220 said:

I liked Orville, but the geek in me wishes they'd spent a bit more on sets. The bridge looks like they got some of the prop furniture from Office Depot.

They spent some serious dough on effects this season.

On 6/11/2022 at 10:18 AM, FrankR said:

I got stuck watching the first season. Maybe my expectations were too high. Couldnt figure out if the show was intended to be a parody or a serious but seriously quirky show. Does it get better towards the end of season 1 and into the following seasons? 

Season 3 has gotten quite strong reactions.  The writing's been a bit heavy-handed at times, but they've actually tackled some issues this season, as being on HULU has allowed the episodes to run from 62-87 minutes and some have felt like mini-movies.

On 6/11/2022 at 11:57 AM, poolboy48220 said:

I wondered about the comedy/serious bit for a while until decided it didn't NEED categorization; why couldn't it be both?

Definitely more towards the serious this season.  And their timing has been remarkable.  Keep in mind that these episodes were written 2+ years ago... An episode dealing with abortion aired the night before SCOTUS struck down Roe v Wade.  The week before had dealt with suicide and the next week was about trans identity and rights, which followed up on an episode from season one.

The season (series?) finale is next week.  This was another public service announcement for @Unicorn

9 hours ago, AceHardware said:

J Lee's shirtless scenes in season 3 are pure eye candy. I wish Star Trek: SNW had both Spock and Pike shirtless more often.

Did you know he was a child piano prodigy, playing at age 3?  There are videos of him (as an adult) playing piano on youtube.

He was working as a receptionist about a decade ago for Seth's production company.  Seth would take a break from meetings and go out in the hall, where he would talk to J.  A friendship arose, and Seth started giving him roles in his shows.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

I did read that piano history about J Lee on Wikipedia--and really, starting at 3?!?!?. What baffles me a little about him personally is trivial, but why pick such a generic name as an actor instead of something memorable?

Anyway, that dude spends a lot of time sculpting his muscles. Those scenes of him in bed with Talla were great at showing off his physique, especially his chest. I'd roll under the sheets with him any time, and unlike Talla, I wouldn't break his leg. Maybe he and Malloy will go at it next. A guy can dream.

44 minutes ago, AceHardware said:

What baffles me a little about him personally is trivial, but why pick such a generic name as an actor instead of something memorable?

But if his name's John Lee (or something very common like that), isn't J Lee more distinctive?

45 minutes ago, AceHardware said:

I did read that piano history about J Lee on Wikipedia--and really, starting at 3?!?!?.

Lee was born and grew up in St. Louis. He grew up playing piano and plays professionally. "I started playing classical piano when I was 3. I did that all throughout my youth and in high school. I played at Carnegie Hall when I was 12 or 13." He obtained a bachelor's degree from Indiana University's Jacob's School of Music. He worked at Fuzzy Door Productions as a receptionist where he befriended Seth MacFarlane. "People would come up and just have a conversation with me. And Seth and I became cool because when he would come out of his office or the writers room just to get a break, we would just talk about regular life and laugh." He soon began working for MacFarlane on many of his projects, furthering his acting career.

45 minutes ago, AceHardware said:

Maybe he and Malloy will go at it next. A guy can dream.

Malloy might be busy shtupping his ex-wife, Commander Kelly Grayson.