We still have no forum for Dance.

There is a very interesting article in the NYTimes by dancer Russell Janzen, of NYCB.  He writes beautifully.  He is a principal dancer and long time member.  He dances with all the principal women dancers.  He writes about a topic I have never considered: how he feels as a gay man partnering women in romantic hetero classical ballets.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/04/arts/dance/gender-roles-ballet-russell-janzen

Great article. I recently caught a lovely documentary about ABT Principal Marcelo Gomes made five years ago. He addresses the acting involved. Anatomy of a Male Ballet Dancer

I think it’s not very different from acting or singing a straight role in a play, musical or opera. In ballet, where every position and proximity and contact has a purpose, there is far less realism in the physical presentation of passionate love. It all has to be acted, and allowing real improvisational passion to the fore can break the precision necessary. Same with opera singers when characters cry. If they really do cry, as an actor might do, fluids developing in the nasal passages drips to throat and SQUAWK!!!! 

Janzen is factoring in MeToo and COVID, along with longer working relationships, in a thoughtful way.

• 1 month later...