The Oscars

happyguy2
This topic is 5538 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I watched the Babwa Wawa special and she interviewed the Jonas Brothers in her pre-Oscar special. I watched the whole Oscars show and couldn't wby they were included. What did I miss? Were they contenders for an award? If so, which one? If not, why were they on her special? I am truly sorry to ask such a silly question, but I know nothing about movies.

But I do know this. I am in love, lust, with Hugh Jackman, married or not. He was, in my opinion, the most natural, lovable and wonderful entertainer I have seen in a long time. Please let me know about the Jonas guys, I need to know for a profesional reason. Hard as that might be to believe!

cheers!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>

>But I do know this. I am in love, lust, with Hugh Jackman,

>married or not. He was, in my opinion, the most natural,

>lovable and wonderful entertainer I have seen in a long time.

I wish Hugh Jackman spent more time on Broadway. The Rialto can use a handsome, talented leading man. He'd be a great Billy Bigelow in "Carousel." (He's performed the role in concert and wants to re-make the film.) He'd also be hot as Billy Flinn in "Chicago" and as......and.........and....... Fill in the show.

When he did the show about Peter Allan, people (probably guys, mostly) went to see him take his shirt off.

Lankypeters

Glad to see "MILK" was recognized with Best Screen Play and a much diserved Best Actor Award to Sean Penn. I thought his acceptance speech came from the heart. Was also nice to see a huge applause when he mentioned the Homophobic Protesters outside the Oscars before the show and also when he brought up the Prop. 8 issue.

Guest EuropTravl

I didn't like the 5 previous winners doing the "America's Next Top Model" or "Dancing With the Stars" judge-talk glowing speeches to each nominee. Give me the "and here are the nominees" with clips from each performance. IMHO, the show, and especially the Bill Murray-lounge act host, were painful to endure.

jonas bros-- i think it's called "drawing the widest possible audience." Was i the only one whose sound was all fucked up during the entire jonas segment? Probably all Comcast subscribers. For a while i thought i was gonna have to watch the oscars without sound---not a bad prospect at all.

I was glad Cruz won, and thanked Almodovar. She is a great actress.

Other thoughts:

Was that really Sophia Loren standing up there or her wax image from Tussauds?

Meryl sets new record for dowdiness in potato-sack-brown dress!

You "commie, homo-loving sons-a-guns."

Can someone explain what Reese was wearing? The straps-to-nowhere dress?

Wow! I feel the quite the opposite. I thought it was one of the best Oscar shows I've ever seen. I thought the staging was great, with some novel changes from previous shows. And I especially enjoyed how they presented the nominations to the main awards with the 5 previous winners ... I thought it made it more intimate and meaningful.

Goes to show that everyone has their own opinion!

Raffy..Hopefully we all even slightly resemble our former Youthful selves at 75! Go SOPHIA!!!!!

As they say..It's always better to have been an Original in Life, than just another "Faceless" Critic! ;-)

As far as Previous Winners acknowledging the Current Nominees, it actually does show them more respect for being nominated than just their NAMES being read!

My only Faceless criticism.."I Luv Queen Latifah"..BUT the Long Shots during the IN MEMORIAM I found more SHOWY than respectful? IMHO of course! ;-)

Barbara said she added The Jonas Brothers because on the East Coast the "kiddies would beg their parents to watch". And while they had nothing to do with the Academy Awards, they are coming out with their first movie, albeit a concert 3D movie this month.

Guest Tristan

I agree with the previous posters that Penn's speech was terrific.

I think that Dustin Lance Black, who wrote the screenplay for "Milk", was especially moving. I liked that he spoke to young gay people in front of a very large TV audience, saying not to listen to anyone who tells them they are worth any less for being gay, and that everyone was equal in the eyes of God. I believe he also went on to mention equal rights for gays.

The double dose was good for America to hear from Oscar winners.

I have to agree. I thought the show was easily the most watchable in a long time. Give credit to the set designer for down scaling what is usually an overblown set design WITHOUT downsizing the scope of the event. I thought using the sound stage back walls while following the development of a film from concept through design to finish was pretty good. Dropping in the occasional partial grand drape for new background kept things fresh.

i really enjoyed having five previous winners present the nominees. That idea appealed to me a lot allowing the OSCARS to showcase stars while celebrating what the evening really has always been: an award from your peers.

What is not to like about Hugh Jackman? Would have preferred him in briefs but oh well. Like the job he did.

The L.A. Times this morning was full of carping about this thing and that thing they didn't like. I found that those nattering nabobs of negativity must not have seen the same show I did.

I enjoyed it.

I do agree with those who feel the Opening Schtick was very Burlesque! There are those who do still like Burlesque.

After the BIG Dance Number with Beyonce Jack-mans Job was just about over.

It's to bad but it seems his voice is not as Strong as it was when he did Oklahoma or was it Carousel?... years ago! IMHO of course as usual! ;-)

Guest zipperzone

>I watched the Babwa Wawa special and she interviewed the

>Jonas Brothers in her pre-Oscar special.

The "Babwa Wawa" special? How old are you......

That is SO 70s. Check your calendar honey - it's 2009 already.

Guest zipperzone

>I thought Hugh Jackman was awful and the opening medley was

>an embarrassment.

Could it be that you just don't like entertainment?

>Yes, Penn's speech was wonderful

For those who didn't watch the Academy Awards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dnM8v9aaR0

Steven Draker ~

[a href=http://www.hotsexystud.com/uk]website[/a] [a href=http://www.daddysreviews.com/review.php?who=steven_draker_brussels]reviews[/a]

[a href=http://www.tofighthiv.org/goto/stevendraker]Aids LifeCycle 2009[/a]

>Wow! I feel the quite the opposite. I thought it was one of

>the best Oscar shows I've ever seen. I thought the staging

>was great, with some novel changes from previous shows. And I

>especially enjoyed how they presented the nominations to the

>main awards with the 5 previous winners ... I thought it made

>it more intimate and meaningful.

>

>Goes to show that everyone has their own opinion!

I agree with all of your sentiments. For once I was able to view a three hour show and not become tired. This year's event (in many respects) possessed ingenuity, variety and indeed freshness.

The link that Steven provided for Lance's speech was taken down

by a copyright claim as of 6:03am Tuesday, but if you use the

search feature, I'm sure you can find another.

I found this one:

Interestingly, the URL Steven provided for Penn's speech hadn't

been challenged (yet)...

Guest Tristan

Steven, thanks for providing the Youtube URL for the gay screenwriter's acceptance speech. Everyone should see that speech.

Looks like I should have read further. Thanks, honcho, for providing an alternative version. I just linked to that one, and it still works.

Archived