Circuit City Goes Bust!

JT Brooklyn

This topic is 5000 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Good Riddance, Circuit City. I bought an expensive computer from them, and it was defective. Before they would even look at it, they wanted me to pay. They didn't stand by what they sold, and I take pleasure that they are closing and the woman I dealt with is losing her job.

Didn't Circuit City "downgrade" its sales staff a few years ago? I thought they're the company that got rid of staff who had knowledge about their products and replaced them with minimum wage know - nothings. There seems to be a mentality that cheaper is better without any consideration of "you get what you pay for".

JT- I went to Best Buy. they sold me a computer that worked, so I have no need to go to Circuit City to buy a liquidated one.

This brings up other sore subjects. Once I was downloading upgrades to my Verizon Smartphone, from the Verizon website. At one point, the operation aborted. Trouble was, all of my files on the phone had been stripped to add the new ones, so I had a useless phone. I took it to Verizon, but they wanted $50 to look at it. So I canceled the account, and then the bf canceled his. So far, that's cost Verizon more than $2000 in business.

Lucky..Welcome to the Wondefrul World of High Tech! It's like some NYC Working Guys we've met! They look "Sleek and Smart" and Fun to Handle and then they "Short Circuit" and erase all that they remember saying they can get into! ;-)

Yup.. I guess Best Buy Wins Customers for now at least! J&R IF there's a Sale is O.K. B&H is also good for certain Electronic Items in NYC. ;-)

Yes, a few years ago, Circuit City got rid of all the "nerds" who were very knowledgable and could really answer questions on products. They hired new people at lower wages. They also shifted their focus primarily to flat panel tvs. All the small gadgets in my local store were placed together on the other side and named the "grab and run" section. This included phones, cameras, radios, headphones etc. Big mistake! There was no employee assigned to cover this area. You practically had to beg for help. At the same time, Best Buy was improving its service. Circuit City made some really bad calls and has paid the price.

Check out their web site. It tells you (from their perspective) what has happened and the rules for buying at their closeout sales. The online store has been shut down.

>Didn't Circuit City "downgrade" its sales staff a

>few years ago? I thought they're the company that got rid of

>staff who had knowledge about their products and replaced them

>with minimum wage know - nothings. There seems to be a

>mentality that cheaper is better without any consideration of

>"you get what you pay for".

That was also Bob Nardelli's brilliant strategy for cost-cutting at Home Depot. Their floor staffs seem finally to have recovered, but it took them a while to get rid of the surplus idiots.

Yes, it looks like Best Buy needs to change their name to Last Buy.

I *HATE* shopping at Best Buy because of the pushy sales force that doesn't shave yet, but it's not a bad place to *buy* if you already know what you want/need. Just buy on their website for pickup at the store.

>Yes, it looks like Best Buy needs to change their name to

>Last Buy.

>

>I *HATE* shopping at Best Buy because of the pushy sales force

>that doesn't shave yet, but it's not a bad place to *buy* if

>you already know what you want/need. Just buy on their website

>for pickup at the store.

I bought a computer from Best Buy in 1998. The sales clerk tried to sell me the extended warranty (never ever get the extended warranty - its worthless), a new monitor and a surge protector (all of which i had). When he approached his supervisor, the supervisor whispered, "How many?" The clerk whispered back "zero". The supervisor then tried to sell me the extended warranty. I explained to the supervisor that I listened to consumer advocate Clark Howard regularly and that an extended warranty wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

I then went to the service counter where they start the computer up and make sure it is working. This guy tried to sell me the extended warranty to and I told him the same thing. i also told him I'd never set foot in a Best Buy again because of the pushy sales tactics.

Fast forward to 2007. Best Buy had new flat screen monitors for $149 after Thanksgiving. I bought one and no one tried to sell me anything. The sales clerk said they don't work on commission anymore. I've been back a few times since and its been nice shopping there.