Potentially great news on omicron

This topic is 819 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A preliminary study indicates that a number of unvaccinated people were able to produce neutralizing antibodies against Delta. This suggests that (1) we may have an out to the problem of the unvaxxed (more of a US problem than elsewhere, of course), and (2) since it's so much more contagious, omicron may end up displacing delta almost entirely, at least to the point where it's not a major threat. 

https://www.ahri.org/omicron-infection-enhances-neutralising-immunity-against-delta/?te=1&nl=the-morning&emc=edit_nn_20211230

Enhancement-of-Delta-neutralization-by-Omicron-infection-2.jpeg

However, the team also observed that the participants developed some enhanced immunity against the Delta variant, with Delta neutralisation increasing 4.4-fold. The researchers also show that vaccinated participants were able to mount a better neutralising response against Delta, while the response in unvaccinated participants was more variable.

“The increase in Delta variant neutralisation in individuals infected with Omicron may result in decreased ability of Delta to re-infect those individuals,” said Prof Sigal. “If Omicron does prove to be less pathogenic, then this may show that the course of the pandemic has shifted – Omicron will take over, at least for now, and we may have less disruption of our lives.”"

Edited by Unicorn

A team in the UK has identified a segment of the spike protein that is conserved across alpha, delta and omicron. I only read it quickly - I think they have created monoclonal antibodies to it.  I would think they should also be able to produce a vaccine that would be equally effective across the important variants.

Omicron is hitting Canada pretty bad.  We are at almost 14,000 cases a day in Ontario, and its a bit worse in Quebec.  My relatives in BC have been worried because there have been more than 2000 cases a day for several days, and I just saw that they had more than 4000 today.  But the number of people in the ICU has remained steady or may have even decreased in the past two weeks, so that should allay some concern.  Hopefully Omicron is sweeping away Delta, which seemed to have much more serious symptoms and complications.

3 hours ago, CuriousByNature said:

Omicron is hitting Canada pretty bad.  We are at almost 14,000 cases a day in Ontario, and its a bit worse in Quebec.  My relatives in BC have been worried because there have been more than 2000 cases a day for several days, and I just saw that they had more than 4000 today.  But the number of people in the ICU has remained steady or may have even decreased in the past two weeks, so that should allay some concern.  Hopefully Omicron is sweeping away Delta, which seemed to have much more serious symptoms and complications.

I think Canadians were smarter than Americans about getting vaccinated, hence the stable or falling cases of serious illness despite the explosion in "cases." Time to hit the "Don't Panic" button!

dont-panic-button – The Philly Soccer Page