Spas in NYC

Guy Fawkes

First of all, when you pay $60 for a massage, the masseur gets 1/3 of it. They depend on tips.

Second of all, you guys are saying "$40 an hour" is more than they can make on the street or waiting on tables. You need to remember that these guys don't work an 8-hour day. You make it sound like they make $320 a day.

Third, if a masseur ever asked me for a tip -- during the massage, no less! -- I'd complain to management, and that guy's sorry ass would be on the street real fast.

Last, and many of you may disagree, if I spend $60 for a massage, and I tip $60 (which I do at Utopia), I'm spending $120, which is probably less than I'd spend with one of my non-spa masseurs. If the experience is good, I don't mind spending $120. I go to Utopia to enjoy myself, not for a bargain.

How many massages do you think a masseur does on a non-peak day vs a peak day? 2 on a non-peak day? 3? 4-5 on a peak day?

Let’s say he does 2 on a Monday - Thursday type day. Those days he made $80 per your $20 tip example. On a weekend (Friday - Sunday) they do 4 that would be $160 on those days. A 6 day week would net you $240 + $480 or $720. Mind you this is also tax free (if we want to talk about fair, why am I responsible for paying taxes and they are not?) $720 a week works out to be $34,000/year no tax. I’m not suggesting this is a luxury life they are living but considering it requires no education

Hmm... what the market could bare?!? You may very well be right but I find it pretty unlikely they were giving "discounts" because they thought demand would lessen. I find it much more likely that it was their way of telling their patrons at least the minimum required for the HE.

thats an interesting way of looking at it.

The other more realistic way is that on a Monday at 1 pm, they need to incent customers to visit so they reduce their prices.

I just had Raffael at 27.

He is a Latino guy, cute and friendly. Technically competent and very thorough massage.

He is very cute, short muscular, beautiful eyes and quite a bit of body hair. Also has a little designer beard.

I enjoyed but I would have liked more sensuality and interactivity.

I know some spa masseurs that get 2-3 clients a day and others that usually get more. Either way I typically tip at 100% of the base price of the massage — sometimes more. I don’t worry about what they make annually — I just do what I can to help them survive.

The way I look it, I can spend $200 plus tip at a “luxury” hotel spa for a mediocre massage or for all in similar money go to a men’s spa and have a much better experience. Money well spent.

If by “good” you mean a decent spa hour massage and a standard satisfying departure, I would tip 40-50%. If you mean that you left with a shit-eating grin and the next session booked, I’d tip 100% and up on a $60 hour spa massage which is still under a private masseur rate.

Guys, quoting myself and pointing out a typo...

I intended to say: I would tip $40-50 (not %) on a decent spa hour massage with a standard satisfying departure.

I've often wanted to ask masseurs, and I've known many, if they declare their income, or part of it, or just what they do. But it's none of my business, and I never asked. I'd be interested to hear what others think.

I’d trust your first instinct of saying it’s none of my business. Do you ask friends how they file their taxes? Grocery store employees? Servers?

I think it’s a fair assumption to make that in a cash business with employees who may or may not be documented, that they aren’t reporting all of their income.

But even then, unless you work for the IRS I don’t know why it should matter to you.

Guys, quoting myself and pointing out a typo...

I intended to say: I would tip $40-50 (not %) on a decent spa hour massage with a standard satisfying departure.

Thank you! What is up with people on this board rationalizing lower tips by comparison to minimum wage??

I would think we appreciate our masseurs as a more specialized workforce!

I think those who don’t know how to tip, can go to ur straight bro, having some suggestions how they tip in girls spa.

U will realize that boys in men spa are not expensive compared with girls price.

What’s more , girls price are set up. No bargain, u have to tip first before u get service( same as it’s operated in body work station men spa located in 49&10). While most men spa won’t allow their boys talking about tip at any.

Edited by Alxandra

Thank you! What is up with people on this board rationalizing lower tips by comparison to minimum wage??

I would think we appreciate our masseurs as a more specialized workforce!

I totally agree with BrooklynDaddyBaby

We got to Appreciate all Masseurs, They Work

12 hours a day some 6 days a week.

I like to treat them all good ( Tips)

As long as they treat me good. and I

I walk out of there happy.

I just had Raffael at 27.

He is a Latino guy, cute and friendly. Technically competent and very thorough massage.

He is very cute, short muscular, beautiful eyes and quite a bit of body hair. Also has a little designer beard.

I enjoyed but I would have liked more sensuality and interactivity.

Thanks

How many massages do you think a masseur does on a non-peak day vs a peak day? 2 on a non-peak day? 3? 4-5 on a peak day?

Let’s say he does 2 on a Monday - Thursday type day. Those days he made $80 per your $20 tip example. On a weekend (Friday - Sunday) they do 4 that would be $160 on those days. A 6 day week would net you $240 + $480 or $720. Mind you this is also tax free (if we want to talk about fair, why am I responsible for paying taxes and they are not?) $720 a week works out to be $34,000/year no tax. I’m not suggesting this is a luxury life they are living but considering it requires no education

thats an interesting way of looking at it.

The other more realistic way is that on a Monday at 1 pm, they need to incent customers to visit so they reduce their prices.

Everyone has a good opinion. Can not tell whose wrong or right. I like to talk with them after i built good relationships with my favorite masseurs. Let’s analyze it little bit. 1, it’s not true they didn’t pay taxes. They have to do If want a good life when they retired. The job only short time when they are young. Nobody wants to get massage from old people right? 2, everyone need food . Shelters, transportation that also need money, not free. This is not a simple maths like you did. Spa also has high season and low season. Sometimes no client. Someone figure out they can get 720 for one week. So 1day 100, 1hr only 13 if 8 hrs a day. I don’t think this is good and enough profit for anyone. 3, some people paid tips according to 20%. I think it doesn’t work on this. For example restaurant staff severs many tables and costumers. But masseur only servers a single person. That’s definitely different. 4, most clients want great massage and more extra. Maybe the client could get great experience at the first time. But when they knew the client didn’t pay for extra. They won’t deliver more extra . Remember,no free meals at all. To be a smart man, you want happy, why not make both you and masseurs happy ? But bad service and greedy masseur those excluded in the situation. You could complain and refuse to tip definitely. Anyway treat others well you will be treated well.

I took the advice of some wise folks on this board and got a massage from Sam today at Shangrila. Outstanding in every way!

And, BTW, though Sam is a relatively young guy (definitely not a twink!!!), EVdude is absolutely right about older masseurs.

Probably going to Utopia Tuesday. Does anyone have any suggestions for who there gives a very light sensual massage that will leave me happy?

You might like Jerry. He’s an adorable young Asian guy, massage wasn’t too firm. Definitely get the table shower!