Edita Gruberova

sydneyboy
This topic is 873 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I saw her Zerbinetta at the Met way back when, but I have to admit, though her singing technique was very impressive, she had that aspirated coloratura delivery which always seems so Slavic to me, and which I don’t particularly like.

Don’t misunderstand, she was a great singer. I saw her Lucia in Chicago and was impressed by her attention to bel canto detail and note accuracy! She sang the usually cut section of the first act soprano aria (which few sopranos ever even attempt!) as if it were the easiest passage in the piece!

Though I only saw/heard her in live transmission video/audio performances in later, more recent years, she sang well into old age, mostly not showing too much voice loss.

TruHart1 😎

Another thing that comes to mind about Madame Gruberova was that she was really quite a good operatic actress. I know I was impressed when I saw her live in Ariadne and Lucia back in her earlier performing years. Watching her in later performances on video, it seemed to me that her acting only became stronger and deeper over time. JMHO.

TruHart1 😎