Johnnie Blue

ericwinters
This topic is 896 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Isn't that a matter of very personal taste? That reminds me of the line in the American Pie movie: "I like my men like my whiskey--aged 18 years!"

image.thumb.png.5c0e0c59f8ce296a8aed6076b75c7c1d.png

On 11/6/2021 at 10:51 PM, Unicorn said:

Isn't that a matter of very personal taste? That reminds me of the line in the American Pie movie: "I like my men like my whiskey--aged 18 years!"

image.thumb.png.5c0e0c59f8ce296a8aed6076b75c7c1d.png

Picking up on "I like my men like my whiskey--aged 18 years!", I've also heard, "I like my women like I like my coffee. I don't like coffee."

As far as the Scotch goes, I've never acquired a fondness for any of the Johnnie Walker labels, but agree that the Glenlivet 18 is a superb Scotch, with a golden glow and depths of flavor and smooth texture.

However, my taste typically runs to more robust flavors, such as my favorite, Laphroaig, with its intensely peaty and smokey nose and flavorings.

I've been a Scotch drinker since I was in college a thousand years ago.  I know this is going to sound terribly pedestrian, but I’ve never been a fan of single malt Scotch.  In my condo complex there is a 92-year-old housebound lady who’s only living relative is a niece in Chicago.  She absolutely loves Scotch.  I walk over to her place a couple of times a week with some hor d’ouvers and we sit around gabbing for an hour or two drinking our favorite Scotch – Chivas Regal.   

I've had Johnnie Blue a couple of times and can't understand what all the fuss is about.  I'm the opposite of @Epigonos, I'm nutty for fine single malts but don't care for blends, even superfancy ones like Johnnie Blue.

It's hard to find, but I had Glenlivit 25 once and fell in love, but my truly sublime Scotch-drinking experience was Macallan 25, which runs ~$2000, if you can even find it.  Until I win the lottery, however, it'll be Macallan 12 for me, with the occasional splurge on Macallan 18.

I wish I could be more adventurous with my Scotch sampling, but since the good stuff is pricey, I stick with my favorites.

On 11/8/2021 at 1:44 PM, BSR said:

...with the occasional splurge on Macallan 18.

I found the clip, although they took off the part where she said she like it like her men, and switched to just "the way I like it":

Edited by Unicorn

I rarely drink any more, but was recently on vacation and ordered Johnnie Walker Black.  The bartender (an extremely sexy young man) remarked that not that many customers drink Scotch, which resulted in us having a nice conversation about various liquors.  I guess I hadn't really thought about it before, but I think one of the reasons why Scotch and other bourbons/whiskeys are my go-to when it comes to alcohol is that there is a huge range of flavor.  Sometimes I like a good single malt neat.  Sometimes I want something with a bit more bite and will get something like Johnny Black on ice.  Others are great for a mixed drink since they stand up to the mixer, but I wouldn't want to drink them on their own. 

Once you get above the truly horrible bottom barrel vodkas, they all taste alike to me.  I've never developed a like for gin, so I cannot speak to that.  Tequila definitely presents some range of flavor, but not nearly as much as whiskey/bourbon.