Tipping Spa Masseur Inquiry

Lucky
This topic is 953 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

2 hours ago, Lucky said:

When I went to Times Square Spa a few years ago, the massage was $60 for an hour. The masseur worked hard. I gave him a $60 tip. Was that an appropriate amount?

I ask because I may be returning...

I would say 100% of the price of the service is a very generous tip.  I will consider such a tip if the mssseur provided a good massage as well as made me leave very happy and satisfied.  Sometimes, if it is a repeat visit to the same masseur and I feel the masseur was pleased to see me again and puts in extra effort to provide an even better experience than the first time, I will increase the tip, especially if I know that I'll return.

5 hours ago, Lucky said:

When I went to Times Square Spa a few years ago, the massage was $60 for an hour. The masseur worked hard. I gave him a $60 tip. Was that an appropriate amount?

I ask because I may be returning...

Given the personal nature of a massage, the low price to begin with, your tip was not out of line.  If it was a great massage, it's still a bargain at $120

First, you have to remember that the masseur usually gets 1/3 of the price we pay.  $60/hour is standard for spas, so $20 for the masseur isn't much.   I usually tip $60, and despite what Redwine says, I don't think I've being all that generous.   If the massage was just so-so, I  might give only $40.  $20 would be an insult, and I've never done that.

If someone told me he tipped $80 or $100, I wouldn't raise an eyebrow (I can't raise just one eyebrow, anyway).  I'd just assume  he had a very good massage!