DC Forum Gathering - January 14-15, 2022

nate_sf
This topic is 906 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Yes, it will be happening! We hope to see familiar faces, as well as new ones.

As with past DC gatherings, the weekend will span the MLK weekend, and coincide with Mid Atlantic Leather (MAL). Whether or not you're interested in leather, uniforms, jeans/t-shirt, etc., this is a fun weekend with lots of guys around. The MAL host hotel is dedicated exclusively to the event, and just taking in the scene in the expansive lobby can be enjoyable in itself. It's also a great opportunity to step out of your comfort zone if you're even the least bit curious in exploring something new and different.

But for those of you who may not be interested in MAL or the leather scene, not to worry! Traditionally the DC gathering has coincided with MAL because it's a long weekend and many of us are in town, but the forum gathering is otherwise independent of the leather activities and is welcoming to all forum members. You may choose to sample some of the MAL activities, or go "whole-hog", or alternatively forgo them completely. That's up to you.

The Events

It will be pared down this year, with the focus on the most popular core events:

• Welcome Happy Hour – Friday early evening – Cocktail Hour at the Mid-Atlantic Leather (MAL) event. This is an informal kickoff to the weekend, dovetailing with MAL. Great for those attending MAL, or who may just be curious in checking out the scene. Leather and uniforms are welcome but not necessary; jeans and t-shirts are totally fine, or you could right from the office in your suit (for those who appreciate men in suits!). For those who want to stick around and eat, we’ll also grab a table at the hotel so we can saunter over and get some food while enjoying the eye candy. It's in the hotel lobby, so you don't need tickets to MAL to attend.
  • The Brunch – This has been the main event, and has traditionally been on Sunday. This year we're going to switch it to Saturday for a change. It would allow people to meet each other at the brunch earlier in the weekend, and still have a chance to get together that evening and Sunday. It will also allow those participating in MAL to attend the Sunday MAL brunch.
  • Saturday Night - The missing link is the Saturday night event, which used to be an excursion to Secrets. But Secrets is no more. So we'll keep an eye out for other fun and potentially raunchy events to go to instead. At the very least we can have a bar night. Suggestions are welcome!

Accommodations

Generally speaking, DC within “The District” (i.e., DC proper) is easy to get around on foot, Metro, cab/rideshare. The weekend’s events will be mostly in the Dupont Circle area (for the brunch) or at the Hyatt Capitol Hill (MAL Host hotel, within walking distance to Union Station), so anywhere near or between those locations will be convenient.

Rooms at the MAL host hotel are already sold out, and they’re also sold out at most of the other hotels listed on the MAL website. But there are lots of hotels in the area, and just as many forum members are likely to be staying at other DC locations, including the Dupont Circle area. If you have a question about a particular hotel you’re considering, post the question in this thread and you’re likely to receive feedback.

RSVP

If you're interested in attending, please either:

• Visit the event page here on the Forum. On the left side of the page click "Going" or "Maybe." I'll follow up with a confirmation.
  • Send me a direct message and I’ll add you to the list.

The final itinerary will be sent via DM and email, but not posted here, so please be sure to RSVP.

Questions and Suggestions

If you have general questions or suggestions for the gathering, please add a reply to this thread or send me a PM. There is still plenty of time to plan things so interested in suggestions.

Hope to see you there!

• 1 month later...

Bump and update... I've been thinking about the Saturday night part of this. In the past we'd gone to Secrets, but that's no more. How about a Saturday night bar crawl? Maybe just a few places, perhaps in the U Street gayborhood.

If people like this idea and have suggestions for bars, chime in!