The incomparable Lea Salonga

Merboy
This topic is 923 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I saw her with George Takei in Allegiance when it was on broadway.   Amazing performance and she talked to all her fans at the stage door signing after.   

She did a concert at the Sydney opera house for PBS Great Performances that they still air sometimes and she was incredible in that.   She performed a Whole New World from Aladdin with this gay audience member who was great and he was almost losing it getting to perform with her.

On 9/16/2021 at 10:54 PM, JoeMendoza said:

ah gotcha...not familiar with ragtime. 

Get out.  Seriously.

Don't come back to this sub-forum until you've listened to the OBC recording.

You can also opt for the 1996 concept album, which is kinda fun because it includes songs that were cut from the Broadway opening ('Showbiz').

On 9/16/2021 at 10:54 PM, JoeMendoza said:

lea does prefer technical proficiency vs. adding textures.

My problem with her isn't that she lacks vocal runs or melisma, but that her voice lacks a solid, powerful belt.  

She sings 'pretty' and yes, she's a VERY technically correct singer, but it isn't best suited for the show stopping 11 o'clock, park-and-bark number.

The original Mother in Ragtime was the incredible Marin Mazzie.  You can find a million YouTube videos of her in the show, as well as the ton of other Broadway gigs she had through her career.  She was gifted with great training and a massive, proper belt.  The richness and power of her voice was unreal.

I got to know her a bit towards the end of her life.  She and her husband Jason.  They would do a lot of fundraising concerts down in Key West with Terrence McNally.

1 hour ago, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

Get out.  Seriously.

Don't come back to this sub-forum until you've listened to the OBC recording.

You can also opt for the 1996 concept album, which is kinda fun because it includes songs that were cut from the Broadway opening ('Showbiz').

yessir! brb.

I just had to chime in on Marin Mazzie - her voice and presence were incredible.  I saw  her in several broadway shows as well as in concert with Jason.  Her voice seemed to get richer as time went on.  If only she had beat cancer and was still with us.   I still get chills listening to her on the OBC recording of "Ragtime".  Not to take anything away from Lea Salonga, who I saw way back when in "Miss Saigon" as well as a few years ago in "Allegiance".  I guess I fell in love with both of them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2021 at 6:43 PM, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

I once sat through her trying to sing 'Mother' in Ragtime.  I never forgave her for that.

That’s strange because I saw her in the concert version of Ragtime at the Lincoln Center and her Back to Before stopped the show. The audience gave her an extended loud enthusiastic ovation.

5 hours ago, tchm said:

That’s strange because I saw her in the concert version of Ragtime at the Lincoln Center and her Back to Before stopped the show. The audience gave her an extended loud enthusiastic ovation.

I was there as well.  

These days, audiences in NYC will give dryer lint a standing ovation.  

And I never said the audience didn't like it...  I said I didn't like it.  She doesn't have the vocal chops for that role.

On 9/21/2021 at 11:55 AM, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

My problem with her isn't that she lacks vocal runs or melisma, but that her voice lacks a solid, powerful belt.  

She sings 'pretty' and yes, she's a VERY technically correct singer, but it isn't best suited for the show stopping 11 o'clock, park-and-bark number.

The original Mother in Ragtime was the incredible Marin Mazzie.  You can find a million YouTube videos of her in the show, as well as the ton of other Broadway gigs she had through her career.  She was gifted with great training and a massive, proper belt.  The richness and power of her voice was unreal.

I got to know her a bit towards the end of her life.  She and her husband Jason.  They would do a lot of fundraising concerts down in Key West with Terrence McNally.

Really, Benjamin.

"Salonga’s performance as Mother” was described as “the stand-out performance of the evening.”

https://entertainment.inquirer.net/81815/lea-salonga-gets-rave-review-for-ragtime

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

Really, Benjamin.

"Salonga’s performance as Mother” was described as “the stand-out performance of the evening.”

https://entertainment.inquirer.net/81815/lea-salonga-gets-rave-review-for-ragtime

Really.  And I was there.  Were you?

It's Playbill.com, which gives a rave to just about anything. 

Wake me when Ben Brantley at the NYT gives her a rave for the performance.