Nationwide protests this weekend

Rick Munroe
This topic is 5602 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Greg already posted about Seattle, but there are coordinated protests happening everywhere this weekend. More info:

http://www.jointheimpact.com

[blockquote]Join the Impact is a group that is organizing protests nation-wide against the anti-gay propositions that were passed on Tuesday. Proposition 8 of California, Proposition 102 of Arizona, and Proposition 2 of Florida all banned gay marriage. The Arkansas Adoption Ban prevents unmarried couples from adopting children, and supporters have made it clear that this was aimed towards gay couples.

The protest will take place at 1:30 pm on November 15th at City Hall in New York City, as well as other nationwide protests. If you cannot attend in NYC, you can find your nearest location here:

http://www.jointheimpact.com/?page_id=2[/blockquote]

I've said it once and I'll say it again. What this country needs is a good revolution. It's time to take the country back and restore what it stands for. If the jesus freaks can't handle it then give them a swift kick to the door. Religion has no place in politics. Keep the crap in the church and home.

Hugs,

Greg

seaboy4hire@yahoo.com

http://seaboy4hire.tripod.com http://www.daddysreviews.com/newest.php?who=greg_seattle

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/6707/lebec084a9ad147f620acd5ps8.jpg

Three months and counting!

Guest skrubber

If the jesus freaks can't handle it then give them a swift kick to the door. Religion has no place in politics. Keep the crap in the church and home.

Well put Greg.

You might think about taking a different approach. If you think that protesting, boycotting, and trying to take away people's free speech rights is the way to educate people and to gain acceptance and tolerance then you are living in a fool's paradise.

This is just the kind of thing to make the 52% of those who voted for Prop 8 believe that they were right in thinking the gay community a bunch of arrogant, intolerant, jerks who "aren't like us."

When will people learn? You get more by trying to teach and educate than you do by irritating people.

Calling people "Jesus freaks" is like straight people calling gay people "fags" or white people calling blacks "niggers."

Why can't you people see that you are being just as intolerant as the people you are fighting against?

And what does this issue have to do with religion? Marriage is a "right" provided by the state.

I don't see why people are making such a fuss about a simple word like marriage. On either side. Especially when CA already provides gay couples the same rights as they would get using the "m" word.

This is much ado about nothing. I wonder that some don't have way too much time on their hands.

>You might think about taking a different approach. If you

>think that protesting, boycotting, and trying to take away

>people's free speech rights is the way to educate people and

>to gain acceptance and tolerance then you are living in a

>fool's paradise.

>

>This is just the kind of thing to make the 52% of those who

>voted for Prop 8 believe that they were right in thinking the

>gay community a bunch of arrogant, intolerant, jerks who

>"aren't like us."

>

>When will people learn? You get more by trying to teach and

>educate than you do by irritating people.

So is what you are saying all those lunch counter demonstrations, the marches in the south and the bus boycott was a waste of time? I'm sorry but you live in a sad sad world. If it weren't for such demonstrations blacks today might not be where they are today if they had waited on the kindness of the white man in the south.

Greg

seaboy4hire@yahoo.com

http://seaboy4hire.tripod.com http://www.daddysreviews.com/newest.php?who=greg_seattle

Guest andrewd

>When will people learn? You get more by trying to teach and educate than you do by irritating people.

Please enlighten us then on what you think the proper way, as you see fit, would be to go about educating people. I would like to know your thoughts on ways we could better spend our time teaching people. I'm sure many of us are wondering that very thing, so by all means, please share your ideas with us.

Thank you.

Guest zipperzone

>>If you

>>think that protesting, boycotting, and trying to take

>away

>>people's free speech rights

>

>Whose freedom of speech is being taken away? Did someone cut

>off Dobson's microphone?

Cutting off his microphone won't do it. Cut off his tongue, give him a frontal lobotomy and if you have any time left - cut off his dick.

>If the jesus freaks can't handle it then give them a swift

>kick to the door. Religion has no place in politics. Keep the

>crap in the church and home.

>

>Well put Greg.

I'm not sure I think Dr. Martin Luther King would have agreed with that sentiment or thought that well put at all. And maybe Greg should do a little reading of his own country's history and look at the importance religious groups/leaders have played in moving social progress forward both in the civil rights movement in this century and the abolition of slavery movement in the last (just two such examples).

I fully agree that the passage of Prop 8 should be protested and if I was living in the US, I'd be at a rally this weekend too. But speaking up for our rights doesn't mean slamming the rights of others to speak their minds too. 'Jesus freak go home' is as offensive and intolerant as 'queer go home' and is equally out of place in the kind of tolerant society we need if our rights, as a minority are to be upheld.

A revolution that embraces the Orwellian creed that 'some animals are more equal than others' and tells 'jesus freaks' to shut up or get out is no revolution at all - it's just another kind of tyranny. If you look at the countries that have gay marriage you'll note that it's because the majority of the population supports it. And demonizing and denigrating those who voted for Prop 8 and other such resolutions is hardly going to change their minds or make us look attractive to the majority whose support we will need in the long term if we're to see lasting change.

Alan

>Calling people "Jesus freaks" is like straight

>people calling gay people "fags" or white people

>calling blacks "niggers."

>

>Why can't you people see that you are being just as intolerant

>as the people you are fighting against?

>

>And what does this issue have to do with religion? Marriage is

>a "right" provided by the state.

>

>I don't see why people are making such a fuss about a simple

>word like marriage. On either side. Especially when CA already

>provides gay couples the same rights as they would get using

>the "m" word.

>

>This is much ado about nothing. I wonder that some don't have

>way too much time on their hands.

I disagree with calling these people jesus freaks as wrong. I do not believe this person is the son of G-d nor do I believe he is or was all about what they say he is. I do not appreciate the jesus freaks telling me in my own neighborhood a good portion of it being gay that I am going to hell if I do not follow their scripture. As for a much ado about nothing no I'm sorry you are wrong. Last I heard many weren't sure what is to become of their marriages. I think it is some 20,000 some people who were married in Ca when the Supreme Court did what was right. That isn't really a number to ignore. I am not sorry if you have issue with me calling those supporting prop 8 jesus freaks. But I'm sick and tired of them sticking their fucking noses in my bedroom when they are not invited to the party. I am not diplomatic and really never have been. I am a white/Latin trash north westerner who is tired of being pushed around.

Greg

seaboy4hire@yahoo.com

From Lambda Legal

Angry about Proposition 8? We are too.

Lambda Legal, ACLU, and NCLR have already filed a lawsuit with the California Supreme Court challenging Proposition 8. This amendment defies the very concept of equal protection and it was passed in a manner that violates the constitution of the State of California.

Support Lambda Legal. Help us make it right.

We all want to do something in this moment of anger and sadness. Right now, as always, Lambda Legal is doing what it does best: we're in the courts protecting the promise of equality for everyone.

And it's not just about Proposition 8. LGBT people and those with HIV are relegated to second-class citizenship all over this country and in every facet of life. From schools, to our own homes, LGBT people are told we cannot speak out, we cannot move ahead, we cannot love and we must accept it because majority rules.

We are here to say: they're wrong; we'll prove it and we will stop them!

You can help make it right — donate today.

Lambda Legal's experience with these agents of intolerance illustrates that they will never give up. In New York alone the anti-gay Alliance Defense Fund sued not once or twice, but 4 times to keep the state from recognizing out-of-state marriages for same-sex couples and every time Lambda Legal met them on the courthouse steps -- and won!

In New York, California, Georgia, Ohio, Utah or anywhere it's necessary, we'll take them on as many times as it takes. They're wrong; we'll prove it and we can stop them!

Donate and make it right everywhere.

Our promise is this: Lambda Legal will not back down. We will not accept anything less than full equality. We will not surrender to these agents of hate and we will work to always preserve the trust you and everyone who believes in true equality has placed in us. But we need you now!

Support Lambda Legal. Help us make it right.

Your support as a member of Lambda Legal has always been appreciated. At this important junction in our shared mission, please consider making an additional tax-deductible donation today.

Your gift of $8, $28, $88, $888 or whatever you can afford – will be put to use not only to fight Proposition 8, but also to fight injustice and for equality all across the country.

They're wrong; we'll prove it and together we can stop them!

You can help make it right — donate today.

Thank You,

Kevin Cathcart

Executive Director

Guest TBinCHI

>I'm not sure I think Dr. Martin Luther King would have agreed

>with that sentiment or thought that well put at all. And

>maybe Greg should do a little reading of his own country's

>history and look at the importance religious groups/leaders

>have played in moving social progress forward both in

>the civil rights movement in this century and the abolition of

>slavery movement in the last (just two such examples).

Alan, I mean no personal offense to you, but I am definitely not a fan of organized religion and do not give religious groups a lot of credit for social progress. After all, as long as we're looking at the importance of religious groups in history, let's please not forget the Inquisition, the complicity of the Vatican in the Holocaust and the systematic sexual abuse cover-up, the rise of Mormonism, and the KKK. Yes, the KKK in all their glory hiding behind white sheets and the Bible.

And, let's look very closely at the part that religious groups played in passage of Prop 8 by instilling misinformation and fear through the use of dogmatic propaganda. We should somehow be kind to those who deny us basic rights on false premises? I don't agree. They need to stay the hell out of my life and focus on their own. Until we stand up to them, they will continue to oppress us.

If we must reeducate people, may we have some camps to do so? That way we can be sure that we teach them that the Bible was written by man, not God, and that its passages can and should be used to promote tolerance, kindness, and forgiveness before revenge and zealotry.

Guest ReturnOfS

I was out there at the rally in DC :-)

There were more people than I expected. I'm impressed that all of the rallies made national news.

Archived