Parc de l'Espoir in Montreal - for AIDS

Karl-G
This topic is 1015 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

(Not sure really which forum this fits in.)

As I was watching the walking video of Montreal from Aug. 9, I noticed a street partially blocked off and with  colored paving stones.  I noted it and asked if anyone knew what it was.  I just found the answer.

The Parc de l'Espoir is a space devoted to the memory of those who have died of AIDS.  There was a small memorial and seats on a corner lot here since 1995, and they were not much noticed.  There was a piano on the site for quite a while, and people would come and play on it.  The city redoes parks every 25 years, and it decided it was the time for this park.  So they have been working on it for two years, involving gay men of the area.  Over 250 people attended the dedication by the mayor of Montreal today.

The park is now more than twice the size of the original and has indeed grown out over the street.  A number of trees and planters with flowers have been placed where the street was, and the pavement is now a colorful pattern of tiles, I think based on the AIDS red ribbon.  There are a number of seats and a plaque and flags.  Names of some of those who have died of AIDS from the Village are inscribed on plaques.  A number of the men who created the original park and helped design the new  enlargement were present and commented on how they liked the new park.  From pictures, it is spacious, lots of trees, clean and airy, and lots of places to sit and talk with friends and remember.  You can watch the video on Youtube and see pictures of the park on its website.  It is adjacent to the wig shop.

Its address is 1294 Rue Panet, and that is about two blocks further NE on Ste Catherine, from the Beaudry Metro Station.

spacer.png

14 hours ago, Karl-G said:

(Not sure really which forum this fits in.)

As I was watching the walking video of Montreal from Aug. 9, I noticed a street partially blocked off and with  colored paving stones.  I noted it and asked if anyone knew what it was.  I just found the answer.

The Parc de l'Espoir is a space devoted to the memory of those who have died of AIDS.  There was a small memorial and seats on a corner lot here since 1995, and they were not much noticed.  There was a piano on the site for quite a while, and people would come and play on it.  The city redoes parks every 25 years, and it decided it was the time for this park.  So they have been working on it for two years, involving gay men of the area.  Over 250 people attended the dedication by the mayor of Montreal today.

The park is now more than twice the size of the original and has indeed grown out over the street.  A number of trees and planters with flowers have been placed where the street was, and the pavement is now a colorful pattern of tiles, I think based on the AIDS red ribbon.  There are a number of seats and a plaque and flags.  Names of some of those who have died of AIDS from the Village are inscribed on plaques.  A number of the men who created the original park and helped design the new  enlargement were present and commented on how they liked the new park.  From pictures, it is spacious, lots of trees, clean and airy, and lots of places to sit and talk with friends and remember.  You can watch the video on Youtube and see pictures of the park on its website.  It is adjacent to the wig shop.

Its address is 1294 Rue Panet, and that is about two blocks further NE on Ste Catherine, from the Beaudry Metro Station.

spacer.png

Thanks for this. I remember this park. Nice to see it reincarnated. It's across Ste Catherine from Le Saloon, the most popular restaurant in the Village ( the last time I looked). 

6 hours ago, Luv2play said:

...It's across Ste Catherine from Le Saloon, the most popular restaurant in the Village ( the last time I looked). 

Speaking of Saloon...does anyone know if the owners managed to sell it?  (There's a thread about that somewhere, but I'm too lazy to search for it.)