Bryce Dershem Graduation So Jersey HS Speech Cut By Admin/Bryce Went On!

thickornotatall
This topic is 1058 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I give this kid credit for maintaining his composure and getting his message out.  This is his full speech and clearly shows the administrator crumpling up his notes. 

The optics aren't good for the administrator.  It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.  I'm sure we'll see a "mea culpa" from the adminstrator.  I just hope it's genuine and he truly learns from this. 

This kid's now my hero. So much poise, so much courage. Meanwhile, the administrator's new password everywhere is, whyamisuchadisgustinghomophobicasshole? You know, something he won't ever forget.

Strange that 2 seconds later it looks like the AV guy gives him a wireless mic to continue. 
I agree the optics for the principal look bad, but the whole scene doesn’t really make much sense. 
Why cut the kid off if you’re just going to hand him an open mic 2 seconds later?…odd. 

15 hours ago, nycman said:

Strange that 2 seconds later it looks like the AV guy gives him a wireless mic to continue. 
I agree the optics for the principal look bad, but the whole scene doesn’t really make much sense. 
Why cut the kid off if you’re just going to hand him an open mic 2 seconds later?…odd. 

That is exactly what was troubling me when I saw the video.  Doesn't seem to make sense. Do we know what has transpired since?

1 hour ago, Cock Eyed Optimist said:

That is exactly what was troubling me when I saw the video.  Doesn't seem to make sense. Do we know what has transpired since?

According to a local newspaper yesterday, the school district has asked the DOE’s Office for Civil Rights to conduct an independent investigation to determine if the student’s civil rights were violated.  Nothing more on the principal at this point. 

The principal crumpling the student’s notes made it clear, IMO, that he was annoyed.  I don’t think he anticipated the crowd’s reaction.  The A/V guy may have realized the crowd was upset and by handing him another mic avoided an even uglier scene. 

https://www.courierpostonline.com/story/news/2021/06/28/feds-asked-review-microphone-incident-eastern-regional-graduation-speech/7784570002/

Edited by RJD