Only .8% covid deaths vaccinated; life expectancy way down

tassojunior
This topic is 1057 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Not a MD but I love my daily MedPageToday updates.

"Nearly all new COVID-related deaths in the U.S. are in people who haven't been vaccinated, as only 0.8% of deaths in May were among fully vaccinated individuals. (AP)"

This is good news considering yesterday Israel reported that 50% of new Delta Variant infections were among vaccinated people, meaning deadly cases are prevented. (links everywhere)

However, life expectancy took a huge plunge in the US because of covid, disastrously affecting Hispanic communities who have little access to healthcare cutting life expectancy down by over 3 years: 

COVID-19 reduced overall 2020 US life expectancy by 1.31 years, from 78.74 years to 77.43 years (Table and Figure). The reductions are 3.2 times as large for the Latino population (3.03 years) and twice as large for the Black population (1.90 years) compared with the White population (0.94 years). Direct Link

There's also a quick mention of a simpler way to test how efficient the vaccine is in a person to know if another booster is needed. This i worry about a lot in older people and wish we knew. Many people really need a 3rd booster, preferably a different brand,  I suspect. 

A friend of mine is on immunosuppressive therapy for a kidney condition. He went off his meds and got the full Moderna vaccine. After that he had an antibody test many weeks later and found that he still had no antibodies to Covid.

Healthy people need to get vaccinated to help those who are vulnerable through no fault of their own