Harvey Milk

Lucky
This topic is 4860 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The movie is coming, and I am looking forward to it as I moved to California the very day that Harvey Milk was killed at San Francisco City Hall. (Besides that, I like James Franco AND Emile Hirsch).

But another actor has stepped in to veto a bill passed by the California legislature that would make Harvey Milk's birthday a statewide "day of significance."

"Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has vetoed a bill that would have made the birthday of gay political icon Harvey Milk a statewide ''day of significance.''

In his veto message issued Tuesday, the governor said that while he respected the measure's intent, he thinks Milk's ''contributions should continue to be recognized at the local level.''

Conservative groups had lobbied Schwarzenegger not to sign the legislation, sponsored by Assemblyman Mark Leno of San Francisco.

Milk became the nation's first openly gay man to hold a prominent political office when he was elected to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors in 1977.

He and Mayor George Moscone were assassinated by a fellow supervisor in 1978."

I am also a fan of Mark Leno, but this bill seems to me to be of little value and almost demeaning to Milk. He was indeed a local hero and a gay icon, but "a day of significance" is something that I think even he would have laughed at.

• 1 year later...

Archived