Vaseline Alley name source

arnie
This topic is 1074 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I recently saw a reference to current cruising Vaseline Alley in West Hollywood.  I thought is was a local nickname for a standard dark behind the stores alley and got its name from the use of a lot of the stuff in the old pre condom days.  Apparently it is a named street on google maps.  Does anyone know how it got the name.  

Ha!  There it is on Google Maps just like you said!!  A local told me that the alley immediately behind the bar at La Jolla and SMB used to be a notorious pickup cruising area and the map has it right!  The bar was called something like Barbary Coast and now appears closed in Street View. 

6 hours ago, arnie said:

...Apparently it is a named street on google maps.  Does anyone know how it got the name.  

It appears that "Vaseline Alley" isn't an official street name. There was a proposal in the mid-2010's to hold a festival in that location, but no details on what happened to the proposal. My guess is the individual who wanted to hold the festival registered the name on Google Maps. A similar thing happened with "The Downtown Phoenix Museum of Gentrification" here in downtown Phoenix. As the Evans-Churchill neighborhood was being redeveloped into condos, office towers, and apartments, the resident of an old house called it "The Downtown Phoenix Museum of Gentrification" as a joke and registered it on Google Maps. However, they have now designated it as "officially closed." Truth is, it was never open.

Here's an interesting article from Patch on WeHo street names.