Academy Awards 2021

WilliamM
This topic is 1097 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The whole distinction between "TV" and "Movies" is so ridiculous now. 1999 ish.

People binge 8 hours of The Crown or Queen's Gambit at a time commercial-free, not tuning in CBS Sunday nights for half-hour commercial-filled episodes like 1955. Ma Rainey's Black Bottom or Octopus Teacher on Netflix are no more "movies" because they're 2-hour shows released at once. The acting and production quality has nothing to do with the arbitrary outdated release format. Is a 3-hour piece released at once on Netflix a "movie" but a piece released as 3 1-hour episodes at once on Netflix "TV"? Hollywood's getting less and less relevant. And thanks to the pandemic, most people have seen almost everything nominated so who cares about the Oscar's recommendations.

Nomadland and The Father are playing in theaters now with masks and social distancing. So there is little reason to watch the films a streaming setting.

Edited by WilliamM

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nomadland and The Father are playing in theaters now with masks and social distancing. So there is little reason to watch the films a streaming setting.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I think there are a lot of people who really don't want to go to movie theatres quite yet - either for fear of catching the virus even under the safer conditions, or because they don't like the atmosphere of the social distancing, etc.

I have a movie theatre a short walk away from my apartment. I haven't really been able to go recently because I've been too swamped with work, but I will be looking forward to going back once the semester is finally over. I'm also getting my 2nd shot in another week, which will make a difference too.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I think there are a lot of people who really don't want to go to movie theatres quite yet - either for fear of catching the virus even under the safer conditions, or because they don't like the atmosphere of the social distancing, etc.

I have a movie theatre a short walk away from my apartment. I haven't really been able to go recently because I've been too swamped with work, but I will be looking forward to going back once the semester is finally over. I'm also getting my 2nd shot in another week, which will make a difference too.

For the pandemic (the duration i thought) i ordered in BelAmi twins (best friends) for 6 months and went out and got a new big-screen OLED by LG..... 4K HDR on an OLED is far better than anything any movie theater offers. Movie theaters are a huge step down in quality. I suspect I'm not the only one who has gotten so spoiled on today's home screens that low-res movie screens don't appeal anymore. Anyway that was my pandemic plan. Over a year and 20 pounds later I've seen all the really good stuff and ready to get outside more and travel more. But I'll still not prefer a low-res movie theater to a good 4K HDR OLED. (With Czech twins).

Edited by tassojunior

Films were made to view in a theater, not at home. At home,one misses the audience response at an evening showing of a Spike Lee film (or in the 1950s a Billy Wilder film).

And then came VHS tapes, and DVD's and Blu-Ray, and digital computer files. Times have changed. Perhaps many of us would agree that seeing films on "the big screen" is still a great experience, but by far it's not the only valid choice anymore.

In fact, when I was a kid, in the 1970's, way before all that technology, we had friends whose dad was a huge movie buff and who had his own reel film projector - he had access to reels we could watch in their basement recroom. I remember seeing films like Citizen Kane and Blazing Saddles for the first time in that room, in their home. It worked for me!! :)

Neither the Title or subject matter of Nomadland hold any interest for me. And the trailers and interviews I've seen about the movie do NOT inspire or entice me to want to see the film. IMO, it would have made for a good documentary with appeal to people into the lifestyle, BUT a feature film with widespread appeal, NOT SO MUCH...... and certainly NOT Best Picture of the Year.

Viola, as Ma Rainey, was wonderful and riveting as always (IMO). Though for me, when I think of her, I always go back to this bravura monologue from King Hedley II - which in watching it again now, seems more timely than ever.

Viola Davis knows what she's doing. The nuances in all her roles are generally breathtaking. She gets into her characters in a way most actors just can't.

Viola Davis knows what she's doing. The nuances in all her roles are generally breathtaking. She gets into her characters in a way most actors just can't.

I liked Davis and that "movie" best this past year I think (although I liked The Crown and Queen's Gambit slightly more and I haven't seen Minari yet). Nomadland was great but more cinema veritie/documentary than drama. Amazing that Viola Davis can show 200 emotions/expressions in a movie and Frances McDomand can show the same stoic expression for two hours she's shown in every movie since Fargo, and guess who wins. If Minari is as good as Parasites and Shoplifters were, I might have a new favorite. The Sound of Metal was also great and a promising new actor.The Father was probably Anthony Hopkins last movie and I think living people appreciate such an honor more than dead people. (I've never been dead yet so can't confirm). I thought he was even better in Westworld so I'm glad he got his due. The Oscars did make a mess at the end and Olivia Colman wasn't allowed to give her planned acceptance speech for Hopkins. The show ended up having more drama than many of the movies.

It's 2021 and if I can't watch a piece in wide-screen 4K HDR Dolby I'm not as interested. I don't know how some people handle either watching on their phone or watching in low-res in a public theater. But the academy requires a show to be shown in a public theater for 7 days to qualify. hmm The Crown and Queen's Gambit could have done that with a couple segments but I suspect Netflix wanted all it's eggs in one basket.

I was amazed (again) that Another Round will have an "American remake". Like Downhill/Force Majeure, Hollywood thinks Danish or Austrian actors mostly speaking English or subtitled is too foreign for American audiences? Hollywood has a very low opinion of viewers and their remakes are always awful.

The huge disappointment I had this year was that Mark Ruffalo's twins performance in This Much I Know is True couldn't qualify for the Oscars.

For me what matters more is sound/audio quality. When I was younger I preferred going to the movie theatre (my family didn’t have any fancy surround sound audio equipment at home.. just the regular TV and Betamax/VCR.)

Nowadays I don’t mind watching movies at home on a large screen with surround sound audio while I sit comfortably on my couch.

Yes!! That was a very very intense and also disturbing series, and Ruffalo was brilliant - I wish it had gotten more attention.

Ruffalo was brilliant in his role and I guess that what was made it so disturbing for me to actually watch in its entirety. In general I do not think that Ruffalo the cognition he is due.

It must be my age but I do not mind watching a movie at a movie theater or a big screen at home but I really can't comprehend much smaller and watching on a phone should be punished by law in my estimation.

It must be my age but I do not mind watching a movie at a movie theater or a big screen at home but I really can't comprehend much smaller and watching on a phone should be punished by law in my estimation.

So, let's say someone's on a long bus/train/plane trip or is similarly "stuck" in one place without much to do, and all they have is their phone - and they want to watch a movie to pass the time. You really want to outlaw that? Why?

So, let's say someone's on a long bus/train/plane trip or is similarly "stuck" in one place without much to do, and all they have is their phone - and they want to watch a movie to pass the time. You really want to outlaw that? Why?

just so they watch it 2" from their eyes to get the widescreen. that's what VR sets are good for.

Yes!! That was a very very intense and also disturbing series, and Ruffalo was brilliant - I wish it had gotten more attention.

he did get the Golden Globe and the Screen Actors' Guild Best Actor award.

the only thing about the show was that other than Ruffalo, the other actors were average (of course he played two of the parts lol)

I assume you are just kidding. Otherwise I guess I will have to preface everything I mean in a facetious way by writing "I am only trying to be funny here but . . ."

I assume you are just kidding. Otherwise I guess I will have to preface everything I mean in a facetious way by writing "I am only trying to be funny here but . . ."

I did assume your "outlaw" comment wasn't literal, but I think it's clear that you don't see any reason why someone would want to watch a movie on their phone. I was just giving a sound reason. :cool:

Ruffalo was brilliant in his role and I guess that what was made it so disturbing for me to actually watch in its entirety. In general I do not think that Ruffalo the cognition he is due.

Well, we are coming into the TikTok age where most creative stuff is there and i have to admit it does look better on a phone screen.

When will TikTock qualify for Oscar shorts?

For the pandemic (the duration i thought) i ordered in BelAmi twins (best friends) for 6 months and went out and got a new big-screen OLED by LG..... 4K HDR on an OLED is far better than anything any movie theater offers. Movie theaters are a huge step down in quality. I suspect I'm not the only one who has gotten so spoiled on today's home screens that low-res movie screens don't appeal anymore. Anyway that was my pandemic plan. Over a year and 20 pounds later I've seen all the really good stuff and ready to get outside more and travel more. But I'll still not prefer a low-res movie theater to a good 4K HDR OLED. (With Czech twins).

Did the Czech twins enjoy the huge outdoor screen in Prague for soccer match'es during World Cup