How the pandemic is changing our brain?

bigjoey
This topic is 1160 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Thank you for your posting of the article and your comment. It's a comfort to know that my recent abnormal thinking and behavior are normal for the times. I'm confident (hopeful) that, as pandemic restrictions relax and my pre-pandemic activities and responsibilities return, I will make my way back. The positive news of how well the vaccination efforts are going is helping me a lot.

Interesting article. I've found myself experiencing some of the same symptoms as the author, especially forgetfulness. Like her, I've spent the last year working from a comfortable home with all the necessities, but the day-to-day outside experience is missing and can cause stress, anxiety, and depression. This was the part which stood out to me most from the article:

"The share of Americans reporting symptoms of anxiety disorder, depressive disorder, or both roughly quadrupled from June 2019 to December 2020, according to a Census Bureau study released late last year."

We talk about bringing mental health out of the shadows and treating it with the same sense of urgency we do with physical ailments. We've had a tendency to dismiss those who complain about the restrictions imposed during lockdown and call them selfish, but the mental and emotional toll it's taken on people, especially those who live alone, is real.

How the pandemic is changing our brain?:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/03/what-pandemic-doing-our-brains/618221/

I can relate to much of this.?

Inny Ekeolu, a 19-year-old student from Ireland, says she has found herself forgetting how to do things she used to do on a regular basis:

things like this must be relearned and we will. I'm more concerned about so many Americans who now live in an even more sedentary lifestyle where things are just a click away.

Inny Ekeolu, a 19-year-old student from Ireland, says she has found herself forgetting how to do things she used to do on a regular basis:

things like this must be relearned and we will. I'm more concerned about so many Americans who now live in an even more sedentary lifestyle where things are just a click away.

No, some people will be greatly changed by this experience, but not dogs and cats.

Who lives a sedentary lifestyle now. People walk, jog, play tennis. They just go to the gym less often. Outside is safer that gyms.

No, some people will be greatly changed by this experience, but not dogs and cats.

Who lives a sedentary lifestyle now. People walk, jog, play tennis. They just go to the gym less often. Outside is safer that gyms.

I guess you didn't read the article!

@BSR has posted multiple times about the "lock downs" connection with depression, anxiety, etc.

I guess you didn't read the article!

@BSR has posted multiple times about the "lock downs" connection with depression, anxiety, etc.

Actually, I was far more concerned about your charge of a sedentary lifestyle From someone who strongly preached "hit the gym, before the gym hits you."

Excellent advice, as usual