MAMA MIA (movie)

jackhammer91406
This topic is 3198 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I saw this film yesterday.

I have seen the stage show in London, New York, Los Angeles and Las Vegas. I was prepared to really dislike the movie.

I didn't.

I enjoyed it. Once I could get past wondering if they were going to leave out a song, I raced along with the plot and the music just as though I had never seen the stage show (yes they do leave out a bunch of songs, but include a surprising lot of them). I thought the performances were pretty good. Meryl sings much better than I remembered and she does a great job performing the role of Donna. Pierce Brosnan's songs are better than I expected.

Some very pretty male candy in the chorus.

The locals were incredible and now I must visit the Greek Isles before I die. I would have done the curtain call a bit differently. They tried to match the live concert feel of the stage show curtain call and it doesn't quite work.

>I saw this film yesterday.

>I have seen the stage show in London, New York, Los Angeles

>and Las Vegas. I was prepared to really dislike the movie.

>

>I didn't.

>

>I enjoyed it. Once I could get past wondering if they were

>going to leave out a song, I raced along with the plot and the

>music just as though I had never seen the stage show (yes they

>do leave out a bunch of songs, but include a surprising lot of

>them). I thought the performances were pretty good. Meryl

>sings much better than I remembered and she does a great job

>performing the role of Donna. Pierce Brosnan's songs are

>better than I expected.

>

>Some very pretty male candy in the chorus.

>

>The locals were incredible and now I must visit the Greek

>Isles before I die. I would have done the curtain call a bit

>differently. They tried to match the live concert feel of the

>stage show curtain call and it doesn't quite work.

I saw it yesterday too and totally agree with you. I wasn't sure how well it was going to compare to the stage show either, but I really enjoyed it--even though they left out my favorite song-" Name of the Game". I thought this was translated to the screen much better than Phantom or Rent. The one thing--and in case some people haven't seen the stage show or film yet I won't mention either the character or actor's name--I thought the one gay character was played a lot "swishier" in the film than in the play--and I didn't really think it was necessary.

I also thought the setting was incredible and want to visit Greece too--sybarite that I am--I hope they put in air conditioning before my trip.

By the way I went with 3 older family members who weren't gay--and they enjoyed it also.

Gman

Guest zipperzone

There has been a great deal of negative press on this one. I just don't understand why. It may not be the absolute best musical adaptation ever, but when I left the cinema I found that I was smiling and felt in a very good mood.

So what's so wrong with that?

Every movie I see doesn't have to be deeply intellectual. A feel-good flic is perfectly valid IMO.

And as for "Dancing Queen" it's my favorite ABBA tune ever. I might even have it played at my "Celebration of Life", not that I want it to happen anytime soon!

I, too, saw "Mamma Mia" this past week and enjoyed it. I think word of mouth will help this film along. The reviewers were right. It's not a great film and shamefully I never saw the stage version. The reason to go see this film is for the music, the second is for a good cast (loved Christine Baranski and Julie Waters), and finally the wonderful scenery. Yes, i urger you to visit the Greek isles if you haven't already. It's a truly lovely and fun place to visit. We stopped off in Athens first, did a cruise around the islands and jumped ship in Mykonos (last port before the mainland) for a 5 night stay.

However, don't you think there are moments in the film where Meryl Streep kinda looks like Terrance Stamp in "Priscilla Queen of the Desert?" LOL

ED

I saw it last weekend and could not have loved it more. It was just a truly enjoyable movie with great songs and great scenery. I got the impression from watching the movie and in any interviews I saw that the cast had a truly enjoyable time making this film and I think it showed in the final product. I have never seen the stage version but plan to when it comes to where I live this winter.

• 6 years later...

A blast from the past ... :)

Some very pretty male candy in the chorus.

The locals were incredible and now I must visit the Greek Isles before I die.

... and finally the wonderful scenery. Yes, i urger you to visit the Greek isles if you haven't already. It's a truly lovely and fun place to visit.

http://yachtsngulets.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/zakynthos-greece.jpg

I'm sure Jackhammer is in a place like this.

Archived