Nomadland free from 2/19

tassojunior
This topic is 1158 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

#1 contender for Best Movie of the Year will stream for free only on Hulu starting 2/19. Hulu has a free trial month now that makes it a deal for 1 month. Other shows I'd highly advise watching on Hulu during a free week are Taboo (Tom Hardy) and Harlots min-series and, of course, God's Own Country movie. All for Free.

It's about a new trend of seniors selling all and going nomad for financial reasons. Francis McDermand may well get Best Actress.

Review: https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/feb/17/nomadland-chloe-zhao-frances-mcdormand?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Edited by tassojunior

Watched it and it's different. Sort of a cinema verite/documentary feel. About older poor people who prefer to live in vans. As she tells someone "I'm not homeless, just houseless". A little depressing in that the nomad lifestyle draws some away from security (like the star who refuses a wonderful option at the end). Not that any options for last days are great.

Edited by tassojunior

I did not find the film particularly sad or depressing. Rather, I enjoyed the sense of the characters/actors of their freedom. Did any of them cry out for a “normal” house, picket fence, set lifestyle?

I can probably somewhat relate based on a couple work leave of absences on extended sailboat cruises aboard a 36’ boat up/down the western Mexican coast. While it takes a strong sense of independence and self management, There is a laid back day-to-day lifestyle that many folks I met along the way were doing full time, similar to “Nomadland”. I was a part timer doing 4 months one year and 2 months another. It doesn’t take long to start to feel like it’s a good lifestyle.

I did not find the film particularly sad or depressing. Rather, I enjoyed the sense of the characters/actors of their freedom. Did any of them cry out for a “normal” house, picket fence, set lifestyle?

I can probably somewhat relate based on a couple work leave of absences on extended sailboat cruises aboard a 36’ boat up/down the western Mexican coast. While it takes a strong sense of independence and self management, There is a laid back day-to-day lifestyle that many folks I met along the way were doing full time, similar to “Nomadland”. I was a part timer doing 4 months one year and 2 months another. It doesn’t take long to start to feel like it’s a good lifestyle.