My idea for a new play/movie

Merboy
This topic is 1187 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi everyone,

I'm writing a comedy. Might be a play or a movie, I'm not sure. It's a little tribute to the once very popular daytime soap opera, a genre that's dying out.

The premise is that a lonely, pathetic, overweight gay man (played by me of course ;) ) who's life revolves around his favorite soap opera finds out it's being cancelled to his great dismay. Then he finds himself transported into the world of the soap, and its crazy little town of Shady Grove. He winds up being a part of every storyline. The plot thickens with the mysterious arrival of the Shady Grove Slayer, who kills off the beloved characters one by one. The identity of the Shady Grove Slayer is revealed in a plot twist - and the ending is surprisingly touching.

I sorta combined Soapdish, Pleasantville, and The Final Girls together.

Here are the main characters:

DANNY KATZ — A diehard soap fan in his early 40s with no life. He’s watched every single episode of his favorite soap. He’s transported into the show.

GRANDMA IRIS — Danny’s beloved grandmother, has been gone now for years. She hooked him on the soap since he was five. He came out to her first.

LITA LOVELACE — The long-suffering central heroine who’s been through the mill in many overly dramatic, hilarious storylines.

SABLE LaRUE — An Erica Kane type, a diva who started out in poverty and made herself into a Hollywood star. She’s been married 21 times.

BOLT BIGELOW — The town’s aging hunk who never keeps his shirt on.

CARRINGTON WALLINGFORD — The town’s richest man and its most villainous. Nobody in the town likes him because of all the terrible things he's done to them.

CHARLIE WALLINGFORD — Carrington’s kind, sweet twin brother who couldn’t be more different than his brother.

TRUDY — A funny, warm-hearted waitress who is really Sable’s mother.

KENT ROGAN — Lita’s dashing soulmate who keeps coming back from the dead. Lita and Kent are the town's famous supercouple.

DR. JIM HARTLEY — Shady Grove’s most trusted man, the town’s doctor, married to Vita.

VITA LOVELACE HARTLEY — “Everyone’s grandmother”, married to Jim, also mother of Lita. Jim and Vita have been on the soap since its first episode.

I'd like for it to star all of those soap actors that lost their jobs when their soaps were cancelled. Love to see some of these talented people return in comeback roles.

I'd love your feedback and advice on it. Any tips on how I can make it better would be appreciated. I'm also stuck on something - the name of the soap itself... all I have so far is Forever and a Day...

can't believe Dr. Jim Hartley is the Shady Grove Slayer :eek:...lol, a shot in the dark, but that's who I bet the slayer is

and I may have a non-soap, infamous hunk that could play Bolt Bigelow...id say he's well-educated - of the Ivy League kind ;)

as far as title goes, how about "A Memorable Trip Inside Shady Grove"

• 1 month later...
I'm writing a comedy. Might be a play or a movie, I'm not sure. It's a little tribute to the once very popular daytime soap opera, a genre that's dying out.

I'd love your feedback and advice on it. Any tips on how I can make it better would be appreciated. I'm also stuck on something - the name of the soap itself...

img.php?e=gif&s=c&file=QnJvb21IaWxkYS8yMDIxLzAzL0Jyb29tX0hpbGRhLjIwMjEwMzAyXzE1MzYuZ2lm