Go see [title of show] on Broadway

Rick Munroe
This topic is 5769 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This is not something I usually do on here but I so thoroughly enjoyed this new show that I want to encourage everyone to go see it. It totally restored my faith in the theater...that it doesn't always have to be a revival or a movie-turned-show or star a reality show personality. This is a REALLY funny, well-done musical show-within-a-show (with lots of great pop-culture references) about 2 guys who are writing a musical for submission to a theatre festival in NYC. They took their actual conversations and brainstorming sessions and that is the script of the show. The music is great, the acting (the 2 gay guys and their 2 female friends/co-stars, all playing themselves) is perfect, and we laughed all the way through. Fucking amazingly simple yet flawless show. It was Off-Broadway, they won Obie awards, then it closed a year or two ago (I think), and just opened again, against all odds, on Broadway...and all of that is part of the story, too. It's very gay, very funny, very well-done. Go see it.

What's really amazing is that these really talented total unknowns are suddenly Broadway stars. I didn't think that was possible anymore.

New York Times: "DELECTABLE ENTERTAINMENT! A postmodern homage to the grand tradition of backstage musicals like Babes in Arms, Kiss Me, Kate and A Chorus Line."

http://titleofshow.com/

[title of show]

I second the motion. I saw it off-Broadway and it is delightful. Revivals are fine with me -- I'm thrilled to see first class productions of "Gypsy" and "South Pacific" -- but [title of show] is ........ ORIGINAL...... from start to finish. Light and thoughtful at once.

One further attraction Rick doesn't mention (at least from a quick look at his review): the guys take their shirts off and one of them has a ripping beautiful chest.If it had hair on it, it would be as hot as Derek's.

"I'd say that's a bit of an extreme reaction, now wouldn't you?" -- N.F. Bates

Lankypeters

Lankypeters

RE: [title of show]

Gremlins appear to be afoot. My review was cut ("How dare they," the diva shrieks!).

I stressed the point that this show is ORIGINAL, start to finish. Clever and thoughtful.

Lankypeters

>One further attraction Rick doesn't mention (at least from a

>quick look at his review): the guys take their shirts off and

>one of them has a ripping beautiful chest.If it had hair on

>it, it would be as hot as Derek's.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I guess his chest looks like Derek's from way back before the added muscle and fur. :p I couldn't find a shirtless pic but here they are (the guy you're referring to would be Jeff Bowen, left...but btw, I found Hunter, right, to be the sexier one, even though - or maybe because - he isn't "buff" at all...he just exudes "suck my cock"):

http://titleofshow.com/images/title5.jpg

>

>

>found Hunter, right, to be the sexier one, even though - or

>maybe because - he isn't "buff" at all...he just

>exudes "suck my cock"):

And maybe because his coloring suggests you-know-who.

Lankypeters

I haven't seen it yet, but from the other feedback I've heard this is one of those love it or hate it shows. Doesn't seem to be any middle ground, you either think its fantastic and plan to see it multiple times, or you loathe it and wouldn't go back even if someone paid you and take every possible chance to bad mouth it. Its still in previews I think for the Broadway opening, so may still be changing. I'll probably catch it on my trip up in Sept

I haven't seen it yet, but from the other feedback I've heard this is one of those love it or hate it shows. Doesn't seem to be any middle ground, you either think its fantastic and plan to see it multiple times, or you loathe it and wouldn't go back even if someone paid you and take every possible chance to bad mouth it. Its still in previews I think for the Broadway opening, so may still be changing. I'll probably catch it on my trip up in Sept

>I agree, Rick. I saw the show last spring off-Broadway at

>the Vineyard theater. Cute and funny.

You should go see it again. They've now added new scenes of them doing the show at the Vineyard (I believe it originally ended with the festival, no?), then closing, back to their day jobs, then posting YouTube videos where they said (without any real plan) that they were bringing the show to Broadway, and finally, their Broadway debut. This was Derek and our date's second time seeing the show and they loved it as much if not more than the first time.

>I agree, Rick. I saw the show last spring off-Broadway at

>the Vineyard theater. Cute and funny.

You should go see it again. They've now added new scenes of them doing the show at the Vineyard (I believe it originally ended with the festival, no?), then closing, back to their day jobs, then posting YouTube videos where they said (without any real plan) that they were bringing the show to Broadway, and finally, their Broadway debut. This was Derek and our date's second time seeing the show and they loved it as much if not more than the first time.

Archived