How about Merick? Anybody been with him?

StLouisOct
This topic is 1221 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Those pics on a boat don’t say “yacht” as he proclaims. More like a very nice family weekend express cruiser. Just sayin’

Yacht is a term that has evolved over time. In the 19th century they were sailing boats used for racing, usually by the rich.

In the 20th century, with the internal combustion marine engine, yachts came to include powered cruisers, although some sailing yachts had power units added to them such as Canada’s famous Bluenose racing schooner. The America Cup is a race for the traditional sailing yachts. As are the races at England’s Cowes Harbour at the Isle of Wight.

If you visit a traditional yacht club, you will see both versions, sail and motor. They come in all sizes, but I always considered a yacht to have sleeping accommodations in the form of staterooms, lounges, dining areas and kitchens and large deck areas, both covered and exposed.

Day cruisers have some amenities like heads, kitchenettes, and some sleeping arrangements but in my estimation are not yachts. The former Education Secretary, Betty de Vos, had a real yacht. I think about the size of Queen Elizabeth’s Royal Yacht Britannia, before she had to give it up for the sake of economy.

I started sailing 60 years ago but gave it up 13 years ago when I sold my country home and the boats that went with it.

Always loved it but a short season here in Canada. But I’ve sailed in the Mediterranean, the Atlantic, Pacific, and Caribbean. Nothing like the sun dancing on the water, the wind in your face, and just the sounds of the motion without any noisy engines.