The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne

Lucky
This topic is 1207 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This gay novel came out in 2017. I don't know how I missed it, but it is one of the best novels I have read. Thankfully, it is rather long. I say that because I was so caught up in the novel that I wanted it to go on. Author John Boyne tells a tale of two boys over almost 70 years. It's a love story in so many respects, full of interesting characters and events. The Catholic Church in Ireland was so powerful and anti-gay, it made it almost impossible to come out of the closet.

I won't say more as I hope that you will read the novel yourself. Avid readers will love it. Your heart will be touched.

https://www.amazon.com/Hearts-Invisible-Furies-Novel/dp/152476079X/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

This gay novel came out in 2017. I don't know how I missed it, but it is one of the best novels I have read. Thankfully, it is rather long. I say that because I was so caught up in the novel that I wanted it to go on. Author John Boyne tells a tale of two boys over almost 70 years. It's a love story in so many respects, full of interesting characters and events. The Catholic Church in Ireland was so powerful and anti-gay, it made it almost impossible to come out of the closet.

I won't say more as I hope that you will read the novel yourself. Avid readers will love it. Your heart will be touched.

https://www.amazon.com/Hearts-Invisible-Furies-Novel/dp/152476079X/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Just checked out the ebook. Thanks for the recommendation.

Another John Boyne novel I like is A History of Loneliness. It's about a priest in Ireland who didn't notice that boys were being molested until late in the game. It's a good study of the Irish Catholic Church, the power they had, and the collapse of that power when people learned the truth , not just about the molestations, but the decades-long coverup.

• 5 weeks later...

I sent this wonderful novel to my sister for Christmas. She just finished it and was amazed at how much she liked it, even confessing to some tears at the end.

I can remember the days when I feared my family learning I was gay. Times sure have changed there.