WHAT HAPPENED YESTERDAY

jackhammer91406

This topic is 5234 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In the fervor of primary season, oil price spikes, unemployment rising, and stock market drops, it occurs to me that nowhere did I see any passing reference to the fact that the anniversary of D-Day was ( I believe) yesterday. I am curious; did anyone here see even a passing reference on the news or in the papers (am I the only one who still reads those?)?

What does that say about us as a nation that we can forget the sacrifices of a generation within a few generations?

Does anyone here have relatives still alive who were veterans of that World War?

Just curious.......

> I am

>curious; did anyone here see even a passing reference on the

>news or in the papers (am I the only one who still reads

>those?)?

It was mention in a few of the "crawls" at the bottom of several programs I was watching. I believe on Fox or it may have been CNN or CNBC, I was changing channels a lot, so I don't remember the exact sources.

I saw a couple of human interest stories in my newspaper about veterans - including several who lied about their age to enlist.

My father & several of his brothers enlisted. One of my uncles saw action in the South Pacfic but enever talked about it. I think Germany was defeated by the time my father got to Europe and he was on a ship for Japan when they dropped the bomb & Japan surrendered. (The ship turned around).

perhaps today's generation has moved on to the current war - and not dwelling on the past so much - that's probably a good thing. There will be a time in the not too distant future when "D-Day" "Pearl Harbor" and "The Greatest Generation" (never really understood what made that generation any greater than the rest) will be distant memories much like I'm sure was the case 70-80 years after the Civil War.

I never forget D-Day, because it happens to be the birthday of two of my closest friends. Although I don't remember the events, because I was a toddler at the time, my cousin, who was an 18 year old sailor, took part in the landings at Omaha Beach. He rarely mentioned it, but at his funeral a few years ago, I met a number of his surviving companions from that day, and it was fascinating to sit at dinner and talk with them.

Jackhammer, it's really a sad state of affairs in this country, and I concur with your take on this!

When I walked around my place at one point yesterday, I stopped and said to myself: D-Day, the Sixth of June. Apparently this historical and pertinent event did go unmentioned in all of the news that I heard and viewed, and I watched more than I had really cared to do.

If my memory is correct-- there was no reference in the local newspaper that I skimmed per page.