New York Times or Washington Post

SundayZip
This topic is 1295 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Digital Subscriptions

If you have not tried a digital subscription, I recommend them highly. You get much more than in the print edition, and they are much cheaper.

1. Price is only a fraction of the print subscription.

2. You save whole forests and don't have a huge pile of paper each week.

3. They are updated constantly, so you don't get "the 5:00 o'clock news" or the "morning news" of the previous days events. Any time you look, you get the news as of that minute. They are not publised just once a day.

4. You get much more than you get in the print edition..

a. photographs are limited in print editions by space and cost constraints; these do not exist in digital editions. This morning, for example, there are many large color photos in the article on the

virus in Italy. The articles on Jan Morris' death and Josh O'Connor in "The Crown" are filled with photos. There is no limit.

b. every article has links to previous or other articles about the topic, from days, weeks, months, or years ago; you have only to click on them, and they are before you.

c. the Arts Section is enormously enhanced. If there is a music review, there is usually a link to a Youtube video of part of the concert. Frequently ten music critics are asked for their recommendation on the best . . . (concert this week, recording of a Mozart aria, etc.), and each then provides a link to a youtube video you can listen to and watch. For Dance, there will be links to videos of dance programs reviewed. For Art, there will be many large color photos of exhibits and articles. The "Artemesia" Exhibit has been extensively illustrated recently. You don't get any of this in the print edition.

d. sections I never looked at before now come high on my list. "Real Estate" is a fascinating look at the properties available for sale, with 24-37 large color photos of each. I get to see the interiors of Park Avenue condos, Fifth Avenue apartments, and areas all over the city, plus outside the city and in New Jersey, etc. Special sections on people looking for an apartment or condo or house are explored with many large color photos. These show up in the paper almost every day, and none are available in print.

e. the software/interface used by both NYT and Post are excellent. They are not microfiche copies of the print edition. Articles are arranged clearly and logically and easily, so you can get all around the paper with ease and simplicity. Want to start with a couple of puzzles or a look at the latest same sex weddings, two clicks does it. There are several formats for viewing the papers, and you can choose whichever you like. I start with the "Headlines" version in the morning, and later on in the day, I use the general view.

(I read on my pc with a large screen; the iphone or ipad experience will be different.)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked the NYTimes. They have a special - $1 a week for a year. You can't go wrong. You can subscribe to both.

I subscribed taking advantage of this NYT special offer. Can't go wrong with that! I'd subscribe to both except there's no way I'd take the time to read both. I also read may home town paper every day plus a couple of other publications and online news sources. It gets to be a bit too much (for me). I agree with your comments about the NYT and Post software interface on my desktop PC. But I do a lot of online reading using my Android tablet and prefer the Post's mobile app on that device (but not enough to keep me from switching to the NYT).

Digital Subscriptions

If you have not tried a digital subscription, I recommend them highly. You get much more than in the print edition, and they are much cheaper.

1. Price is only a fraction of the print subscription.

2. You save whole forests and don't have a huge pile of paper each week.

3. They are updated constantly, so you don't get "the 5:00 o'clock news" or the "morning news" of the previous days events. Any time you look, you get the news as of that minute. They are not publised just once a day.

4. You get much more than you get in the print edition..

a. photographs are limited in print editions by space and cost constraints; these do not exist in digital editions. This morning, for example, there are many large color photos in the article on the

virus in Italy. The articles on Jan Morris' death and Josh O'Connor in "The Crown" are filled with photos. There is no limit.

b. every article has links to previous or other articles about the topic, from days, weeks, months, or years ago; you have only to click on them, and they are before you.

c. the Arts Section is enormously enhanced. If there is a music review, there is usually a link to a Youtube video of part of the concert. Frequently ten music critics are asked for their recommendation on the best . . . (concert this week, recording of a Mozart aria, etc.), and each then provides a link to a youtube video you can listen to and watch. For Dance, there will be links to videos of dance programs reviewed. For Art, there will be many large color photos of exhibits and articles. The "Artemesia" Exhibit has been extensively illustrated recently. You don't get any of this in the print edition.

d. sections I never looked at before now come high on my list. "Real Estate" is a fascinating look at the properties available for sale, with 24-37 large color photos of each. I get to see the interiors of Park Avenue condos, Fifth Avenue apartments, and areas all over the city, plus outside the city and in New Jersey, etc. Special sections on people looking for an apartment or condo or house are explored with many large color photos. These show up in the paper almost every day, and none are available in print.

e. the software/interface used by both NYT and Post are excellent. They are not microfiche copies of the print edition. Articles are arranged clearly and logically and easily, so you can get all around the paper with ease and simplicity. Want to start with a couple of puzzles or a look at the latest same sex weddings, two clicks does it. There are several formats for viewing the papers, and you can choose whichever you like. I start with the "Headlines" version in the morning, and later on in the day, I use the general view.

(I read on my pc with a large screen; the iphone or ipad experience will be different.)

You have summarized in a very comprehensive fashion everything I like and take advantage of in the NYT digital version. It costs me around $32 CDN a month after exchange rate is taken into account. A real bargain for information and entertainment all in one format that is easy to use.

I have a digital subscription to Toronto’s Globe & Mail newspaper but the format is not half as good and is difficult to read easily and costs more. Go figure.