Growing up: Sports ... yes or no?

KrisParr
This topic is 1296 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've taken a couple of fencing classes too - I enjoyed it but my reflexes are nowhere near fast enough to be good at it. In college a friend and I took it, he was left-handed so I learned to deal with left-handed fencers more than I did with right. After college I took a community education class taught by legendary fencing coach Istvan Danosi from Wayne State University. I remember he used me for a demonstration, when I hit him with my foil he said in a charming Eastern European accent "Gently, gently, I am delicate".

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a split experience. I dreaded PE class and was always the last chosen for any team. It was the low point of every single day.

But in my neighborhood, we played lots of sports (football, basketball, softball), and at home, you have to make do with your weakest players, so I was always included when we played 4-4 football. It was so much fun! Then we grew up, and guys got more serious about how their athleticism defined their manhood, and the fun ended. I was scrawny, slow, poorly coordinated, etc., and a liability.

As for watching sports, I can watch football and just about anything in the Olympics because of the infectious hype, but in general, I would rather be playing a sport than watching it.