Social Bots on Rentmen

harey
This topic is 1317 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've seen several questionable profiles view mine in the past couple of weeks. Always with no picture and from either New York or LA. I was kinda freaked out about it and was going to post on here if anyone else had that happen but didn't want to seem like I was paranoid. So yeah something's up.

Garbage description with nothing but spam-looking external links repeated over and over, and same stats for each new profile. To answer OP’s question, I started to get these bots “looking” at my profile start of this week, 2 - 4 a day.

Interesting. I haven't seen that in my RM account, but have obviously gotten those sort of emails. Those sorts of messages are generally harmless unless you click on them. Then they cull whatever metadata they can. I'd report them to RM and delete them.

Garbage description with nothing but spam-looking external links repeated over and over, and same stats for each new profile. To answer OP’s question, I started to get these bots “looking” at my profile start of this week, 2 - 4 a day.

Exactly. This is what I saw, too. External spammy links in the ad, weird stats such as 105 lbs, etc.

I’ve flagged three fake accounts (bots) on Rentmen in the past week. They showed up on my “Who Saw Me” list, so I reported them. Has anyone else noticed an increase in bots?

I've seen them for a while, but there's a rush of them lately. They seem to be there just to post links to other sites, so I see them as spam advertising rather than bots. They typically have a black and white torso photo and nothing much else.

Yes. I also log in and it says I have new profile views but when I look to see who viewed my profile it doesn’t show anything new.

RM takes the profiles down pretty quickly, so the visit still shows up when you log on but the profile is no longer there for you to check out. I'm about 50/50 catching them before they are scrubbed.

Edited by mike carey

RM takes the profiles down pretty quickly, so the visit still shows up when you log on but the profile is no longer there for you to check out. I'm about 50/50 catching them before they are scubbed.

That explains why I see notifications of views to my profile but when I look there’s nothing new.

Didn’t even notice the missing “r” but I knew what you meant.

Haha, yes, it can easily be missed (as I did when I posted it). I've read that English speakers can read texts by only noting the first and last letters of words. The experiment is usually done by scrambling the internal letters, but I've noticed that I've read completely different words than the ones written, based on the first and last letters!

Edited by mike carey