Verizon Fios Internet And TV

LIguy
This topic is 5841 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I don't have the service but if it was an option for me I'd love to have it for internet access. The problem with really fast internet access though is that it may not improve your average internet experience: the sites you browse may well not serve fast enough to take any advantage of the extra speed (things like youtube are often capped to not exceed a certain throughput--naughty sites more so).

I don't like having a cable box and it seems to me that with FiOS TV there'd be no way around them. I prefer cable card or just running basic cable into a TV/TiVo...

Please let us know how it works for you! You may want to watch the installers closely though, there's been stuff on the internet about some of them being extraordinarily incompetent.

I have had the Cablevision package--internet, telephone and cable TV--for about two years and I am quite pleased with it. It gives me free calling in the U.S. and Canada, good selection of cable TV options, and quite reliable internet service. The installers have been fine and when I had problems with a modem, they replaced it very quickly, free of charge. Don't know about Verizon but the combo package is IMHO good value.

buzz

My friends have Verizon FIOS and they are happy with it. I've used their computers and I notice a slight difference between that and my Comcast cable connection (for the better). When I was choosing between the two services, I went with Comcast because they included Canada on their free long distance plan and their plan was a bit less expensive. Otherwise, I probably would have gone with Verizon. The only complaint I have with Comcast is that our power has gone out and I didn't have phone capability. Their techies say there is a battery backup that should provide phone service during a power outage (for about 8 hours). I haven't bothered to have them come check the problem because I've been busy and I have my cell phone. Otherwise, I'm happy with Comcast. Hope this helps.

>You may want to watch the installers closely though,

>there's been stuff on the internet about some of them

>being extraordinarily incompetent.

That's a good rule of thumb in general. If they're not incompetent, they're often lazy.

When my Mom had Comcast cable/phone/tv installed, she complained (to *me* of course) that every time she shut down the computer, her phone service turned off. There wasn't a lot I could do over the phone (she was in Denver and I was in LA). She was already a little foggy from the chemo drugs, so getting details was a little tough.

When I got there the following weekend, it took two minutes to figure out. She was turning her computer off at the outlet strip (which I told her never to do again, of course), and the lazy installer had plugged the router into the outlet strip.

I pulled the (wheeled) computer desk away from the wall and plugged the router into the *empty* outlet directly behind the desk. Problem solved.

Archived