Carson Kressley

Guest ncm2169
This topic is 5855 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest ncm2169

Okay, so I'm falling asleep watching Paula Dehn on the Food Network and all of a sudden she introduces her guest, Carson Kressley.

Now, we all have our individual turnons and turnoffs, and I am sure I ma going to offend one or more people here with my comments, but here goes anyways.

A few weeks ago I inquired if anyone else agreed with my characterization of Nancy Grace as a "cunt."

Does anyone else here agree with my characterization of Kressley as a "Flaming Faggot?"

http://www.carsonkressley.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carson_Kressley

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never got into Queer Eye. For one thing, I've never been the least bit interested in "makeover" shows. (And frankly, the idea of being "made over" just sounds very insulting to me. And how many of these people actually continue with their new "makeover" regimen, anyway? I bet most of them go back to their previous styles, because it's less effort, and it's comfortable.)

For another thing, how many stereotypes could the show promote all at one time? I know - I should just relax and laugh at the mincing fashionistas, because it's all just a TV show after all. But I'm sorry - the fact that we get to watch five "androgynous" bois (sic) snap-snap their fingers and use their natural gifts for redecorating is just not sending the right message to those people who think we're ALL like that. (I know some of you will take offense to that remark. I'm sorry.)

My real problem with the show is the irony, though, that if the "fab five" weren't quite so FABulous and just acted like normal men who just happened to like other men, the series probably wouldn't have done so well. Send in the clowns...they're already here...

And yes, in answer to your question...yes she is...:-)

>Does anyone else here agree with my characterization of

>Kressley as a "Flaming Faggot?"

Well...I'm not a fan of Mr. Kressley, but my feeling is that a gay man referring to another gay man as a "flaming faggot" is akin to a black man burning a cross on another black man's lawn.

Guest zipperzone

>>Does anyone else here agree with my characterization of

>>Kressley as a "Flaming Faggot?"

>

>Well...I'm not a fan of Mr. Kressley, but my feeling is that a

>gay man referring to another gay man as a "flaming

>faggot" is akin to a black man burning a cross on another

>black man's lawn.

Rick I can't agree with you on this one. The term "flaming faggot" while not meant to be complimentary, does paint a pretty acurate picture of a certain type of gay man or perhaps more acurately, a certain type of behavior from a gay man. I'm sure you and Derek would not appreciate being called flaming faggots, because you not!

I don't think your "burning cross" analogy is appropriate.

Guest josephga

to me calling that guy a faggot or calling nancy grace a cunt is no differnt than calling someone black the n word. just as hurtfull to them

>The term

>"flaming faggot" while not meant to be

>complimentary, does paint a pretty acurate picture of a

>certain type of gay man or perhaps more acurately, a certain

>type of behavior from a gay man

So, when a straight man acts the same way, would you also call him a "flaming faggot" or is there some other term for that type of straight man?

Guest zipperzone

>to me calling that guy a faggot or calling nancy grace a cunt

>is no differnt than calling someone black the n word. just as

>hurtfull to them

But she is a cunt - what else could describe her any better? :-)

Guest zipperzone

>>The term

>>"flaming faggot" while not meant to be

>>complimentary, does paint a pretty acurate picture of a

>>certain type of gay man or perhaps more acurately, a

>certain

>>type of behavior from a gay man

>

>So, when a straight man acts the same way, would you also call

>him a "flaming faggot" or is there some other term

>for that type of straight man?

Well if one KNEW he was straight,I guess you could call him "flaming faggot like" or "Faux flaming faggot" or "Flaming faggot wanabe"

But what is your point? Why would a straight man act that way unless he was doing it for laughs or to deceive others into thinking he was gay.

>But what is your point? Why would a straight man act that way

>unless he was doing it for laughs or to deceive others into

>thinking he was gay.

Zipperzone, you need to get out more. :p Straight men can be (and often are) every bit as effeminate as some gay men. Do you think that masculine or butch gay men are "doing it for laughs" or "to deceive others into thinking they are straight"?

Guest n2colour

That's not remotely near what it resembles as someone else has pointed out. I wonder why you intentionally failed to mention what it did resemble. It was so obvious and you are an intelligent guy.

Guest n2colour

I have no great objection to either phrase nor a great deal of interest in using either, thus I'll not defend the choice of words, but your response and others here leave me wondering how one would go about describing anyone to anyone else given the limited vocabulary that appears to be permissable.

Is "flaming" objectionable or "faggot" or both?

What if he wrote "flaming queen"?

Is pointing out someone is "effeminate" unacceptable today? How about "butch"?

I've heard that horses have had enough of the repeated use of the phrase "Hung like a horse" when so many are quite obviously not.

> your response and others here leave me

>wondering how one would go about describing anyone to anyone

>else given the limited vocabulary that appears to be

>permissable.

I know just what you mean; it's awfully frustrating that we're so limited in how we can describe people these days, when precise phrases like nappy-headed coon, slanty-eyed chink, job-stealing wetback, penny-pinching kike, greasy dago, sand nigga and flaming faggot really are the best, most universally understood words to use. Life in this politically correct 2008 sure is hard.

>>He gives "us" all a bad name

>

>We're all named Carson? That's gonna get confusing... :p

HEY - a good friend of mine has a son named Carson, and there's nothing wrong with him at all...and I don't think either of them think it's a bad name, lol...:-)

Guest zipperzone

>Zipperzone, you need to get out more. :p Straight men can be

>(and often are) every bit as effeminate as some gay men.

Guess I do need to get out more. The straight men I come into contact with are not effeminate. Maybe it's a NY thing :-)

>Do

>you think that masculine or butch gay men are "doing it

>for laughs" or "to deceive others into thinking they

>are straight"?

Rick - you're missing my point - probably on purpose. There are many sicko straight men who camp it up and act effinate as a putdown of gays. They usually do it for a laugh and unfortunately, often get one.

And yes - some gays do try to act butch to avoid being thought of as gay.

I still think there is nothing wrong with calling him a flaming faggot 'cause that's what he is. Frankly I'm just plain tired of all of this "politically correct" shit that everyone is supposed to subscribe to.

>Well...I'm not a fan of Mr. Kressley, but my feeling is that a

>gay man referring to another gay man as a "flaming

>faggot" is akin to a black man burning a cross on another

>black man's lawn.

Well said, Rick, and my thanks to the others who have backed up your comments.

Many of you, including the original poster, fail to recognize Carson's contribution to gay lib. He's an out, proud man who makes no excuses for his appearance or personality. He is a successful gay businessman who probably makes more money each year than many of you. He supports gay organizations and gay charities and is well-liked and respected within his industry.

Unlike other gay men who have refused to publically acknowledge their sexuality, Carson makes no excuses for his and I say "bravo!"

Many of you could learn a lot from this man, and if you don't like to watch him, you have the option of changing the channel.

And "NO" it's NOT a NY thing! It's a global thing!:)

Guest n2colour

Mind-reading does not appear to be one of your strong suits. I was tempted to remark that you missed my point, but I don't think you did. The response you chose to write, and the terms you chose to publish, says something about you, I think.

Archived