Director Anthony Minghella has died at age 54

ariadne1880
This topic is 5879 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The BBC confirms that Oscar-winning director Anthony Minghella has died suddenly at the age of 54. What a shocking and sad loss.

"Truly, Madly Deeply"

"Cold Mountain"

"The English Patient"

"The Talented Mr. Ripley"

Last year, he brought his brilliant production of "Madama Butterfly" to the MET.

Mark

Sad, sad and shocking news. I interviewed him when his "Talented Mr. Ripley" opened. He was direct, articulate, highly literate. Very helpful; no celebrity attitude. He made many great films and would have made many more.

And he didn't take himself too seriously. After the interview, we ended up side by side at the urinal in the men's room. "This is where it all comes out," he said. On the way down the hall we chatted further about the use of music in his films.

His son is an actor, having appeared in, I think, "Bee Season." He has a striking appearance and sensitive demeanor. One hopes his talent will grace many future films, carrying on the family name.

"I'd say that's a bit of an extreme reaction, now wouldn't you?" -- N.F. Bates

Lankypeters

I thought that this was very sad news today. What a talented man and what a shame to lose him at such a young age.

They are saying he had a massive stroke in hospital after a routine operation.

The film and opera worlds are devastated today. Condolences to his family.

Mark

I understand he had just completed a movie called something like First Class Detective Agency. It is about a black woman in Africa that operates a one woman detective agency. I read the book and it was charming. I hope his last movie does it justice. Given that he took The English Patient, a novel that many said couldn't be made into a movie, and produced an award winning movie, he will probably succeed.

Archived