Anyone else donated blood for antibodies results

handiacefailure
This topic is 1410 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The red cross is now giving Covid antibodies results with a blood donation. I donated Saturday and was hoping my results would come back positive but the results were negative. Anyone else donating to get the results?

You can now donate blood if you are gay as long as it's been over 90 days since you've had sex with another male, and seeing I haven't hooked up since Covid started in March I was eligible to donate so I was able to help save a life as well.

I don't understand that restriction anyway. Made sense in the 80's but if a gay guy is in a monogamous relationship he is a lot lower risk than a hetrosexual whose spouse is cheating on them.

Well, I just paid a lab about 6 weeks ago for an antibody test and it was negative, unfortunately. Might test myself later. But as for meeting the 90 day rule, I haven't been close to being able to meet that my entire adult life. I'm afraid this is where they'll have to come try to draw my blood when I finally meet the 90-day rule...

cemetery-56522337.jpg?w=640&h=360&crop=1

I wouldn't be able to donate do to the 90-day rule, but def want to be tested for antibodies soon. I'm almost certain the virus already passed through me back in Feb & would like to know for sure... maybe it was just a bad cold. ?

If you are in the US and your PCP won't write the order if you go on Labcorp's site they'll still do it for an additional $10 fee but not sure what the test cost or if insurance will cover it.

I had a bad case of the flu in January and my PCP said she had a few patients with similar symptoms and no antibiotics were working and wrote it off as a strand of the flu the flu vacine missed and was praying my results would come back positive. Hopefully this madness doesn't go on for another two months when I'll be eligible to give again so it'll be safe to hook up making me ineligible:)

If you are in the US and your PCP won't write the order if you go on Labcorp's site they'll still do it for an additional $10 fee but not sure what the test cost or if insurance will cover it.

I had a bad case of the flu in January and my PCP said she had a few patients with similar symptoms and no antibiotics were working and wrote it off as a strand of the flu the flu vacine missed and was praying my results would come back positive. Hopefully this madness doesn't go on for another two months when I'll be eligible to give again so it'll be safe to hook up making me ineligible:)

I did the Labcorp test for antibodies (negative btw) they charged me $10, and never even asked about insurance. Now - that said - they have all my insurance info on hand but they didn’t reply with results via my Normal online account, never asked me a thing.

Wow. If I could get it for $10, I'd be doing it every week. They charged me $160 (insurance wouldn't pay), and the results took over 2 weeks. :(

I'm not sure why someone would be relieved to discover he has already been exposed to the novel coronavirus since it is unknown at this time whether someone exposed could be reinfected. I guess if you know you were exposed and never had symptoms then maybe it would give you piece of mind that if you got exposed again you are still unlikely to have symptoms, but I don't even know if that's known at this time. There is still so much unknown about this virus.

Wow. If I could get it for $10, I'd be doing it every week. They charged me $160 (insurance wouldn't pay), and the results took over 2 weeks. :(

I thought it was $10 for them to have someone write the lab order if your doctor didn't do it on top of the regular fee.

I'm surprised it took that long. I donated blood on a Saturday and had the results Monday afternoon with the red cross

I'm not sure why someone would be relieved to discover he has already been exposed to the novel coronavirus since it is unknown at this time whether someone exposed could be reinfected....

Well, of course we don't know 100% for sure, but it's probable the antibodies provide at least several months' protection. The South Koreans did a study which found that any virus particles found in those with antibodies were inactive/unable to infect. If we didn't think it was probable that antibodies provide at least several months' protection, there would be no point in all of the vaccine trials. How many tens of millions have been infected so far? How many have been infected twice (symptomatically, with active particles)?