Homemade remedy for GERD/heartburn/acid reflux

caramelsub
This topic is 1433 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I’m wondering if anyone else knew about this homemade remedy to heartburn/GERD. This is not a substitute for medical advice and ultimately you should talk to your doctor before trying any treatment.

I have been suffering from heartburn lately, and always had acid reflux anytime I ate anything with tomatoes. I would always take some tums to get rid of the acid reflex, but yesterday I had terrible heartburn, to the point it felt like I was having a stroke or something. I tried taking tums but they didn’t work. I debated about taking my prescription for protonix. But ultimately I followed the advice from a close family member who’s a scientist and is big on nutrition and homeopathic medicine. She told me that protonix and tums are the worst things that you can take for heartburn/GERD because they block acid from the stomach. And that the stomach was meant to be acidic. It needs acid to digest food properly. So by taking antacids you’re being counterproductive. Her solution? A large cup of water with a tablespoon of lemon juice, a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, and a table spoon of honey for taste. After sipping on this my heartburn was gone within minutes. I’m not saying this will work for everyone, like I said earlier this is not intended to be medical advice, and consult your doctor first.

After suffering chronic reflux for years, my diet has taken a distinctly vegan bias. While I eat meat, it’s not core to my diet and is infrequently consumed.

two other things you might consider which align with your homeopathic remedy.

1) Substitute kombucha for carbonated beverages. If the fermentation is too strong, dilute 50/50 with water.

2) practice sequential eating - eating in order of water content. For example, eat foods like this - first fruits, then vegetables, then baked potato, then meat last. Some people think it’s farce, but I find a high correlation to reflux, bloating, and even nasal issues when I don’t do it.

Two more things...no alcohol helps me a lot and I consume multiple smaller meals/snacks during the day rather than three big ones

life without reflux is a much happier life indeed.

Some people think it’s farce, but I find a high correlation to reflux, bloating, and even nasal issues when I don’t do it....

Can you expand on the nasal issues it assists? I don't have acid reflex, but definitely nasal problems.

Often when I eat non sequentially, during and after my meal, my sinuses are very congested. It’s happened to friends as well. I can’t explain the connection, But it’s frequent enough for me to notice. There may be other contributing factors though...like what I’m eating. It’s hard for me to describe better than that since, now, sequential eating is natural for me

also, it’s consistent with multi course dining...going from light to heavy

My 90 year old mom has sneezing fits after eating meals....mostly breakfast and mostly after eating toast, waffles,french toast, bagel. Usually 10-15 sneezes.

My GI Doc says a full stomach can press up against the diaphragm causing sneezing. Starting happening to me post gastric bypass surgery. While irritating when it happen, it can also be an early warning for me to slow down or stop eating.