I Made A Pumpernickel!!

Gar1eth
This topic is 1438 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

And no that's not a euphemism for something sexual!!

IMG_0545.jpg?raw=1

It actually came out pretty good. If anyone is interested, I have the recipe. I had to reduce proportions as it would have been way too big for my breadmaker as originally written. When I did the reduction-actually the website the recipe was on did the adjustments-it would list 1 cup bread flour + 1 tablespoon + 1 tsp. I know baking measurements often send to be fairly exact. But I pretty much eliminated the teaspoon and sometimes the tablespoon. If the recipe is that finicky that a tablespoon makes a difference--considering how much larger a cup is than a tablespoon-then that's probably too finicky a recipe for me to want to attempt.

(Same thing goes for butter in most recipes. If the recipe is that finicky that using salted butter makes an actual change in the taste, then I probably don't need to be attempting that recipe)

I was having trouble finding the rye flour. I finally found some Bob's Red Mill Organic at Amazon for $10.93 for a 20 oz package. That comes to 55 cents an ounce. It came from the manufacturer. But if you go to Bob's Red Mill site, they say this size is out of stock. And you can only buy a 25 pound bulk size for $38.90 (which comes to 10 cents an ounce). I don't know if that's a mark up on Amazon, or if that's what the 20 ounce goes for in the store, ot if you could find it on the Bob's Red Mill site.

But after I paid the $10.93 for 20 ounces, and it was too late to cancel, I found that Central Market-an upscale gourmet grocery store with only 10 locations-all in Texas, sells it in their bulk section packaged in (approximately) one pound containers for $1.49 a pound ( 9 cents an ounce)?? Of course I don't know the provenance of the bulk flour. But unless it's contaminated with heavy metals, I'll gladly play 9 cents an ounce for unbranded compared to 55 cents at Amazon!!

Gman

I love bread! I've never made my own and never will...But Publix makes the best Butter Bread and 7 Grain Italian...The Butter Bread tastes like a cake and sell for about $6 a load...The 7 Grain is about $4...We don't eat much bread and it usually goes blue before we finish a loaf.

You did a great job...I don't have the gumption...glad you do!

Edited by thickornotatall

Today when cutting the pumpernickel, I realized that I had been cutting bread machine loaves wrong for years. If you take the picture above, I had always been taking the knife and trying to slice by having the knife go down one side as it's pictured-parallel to the long axis of the bread Today I turned the bread on it's side and sliced parallel through the bottom, i.e. perpendicular to the long axis of the bread. It made a much better slice!!

Gman

Today when cutting the pumpernickel, I realized that I had been cutting bread machine loaves wrong for years. If you take the picture above, I had always been taking the knife and trying to slice by having the knife go down one side as it's pictured-parallel to the long axis of the bread Today I turned the bread on it's side and sliced parallel through the bottom, i.e. perpendicular to the long axis of the bread. It made a much better slice!!

Gman

I was making a spicy tomato coconut soup for dinner and decided to make a bread to go with it. And I added seaweed to the dough. Gave it a nice savory flavour to go with the robust flavour of the soup