Personal medical factors and Covid19

bigjoey
This topic is 1445 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

While the debate continues on lockdowns and political responses to Covid19, there is very little discussion as to the personal factors that affect getting the infection and if so, it’s severity. The link below is a good discussion of the factors why this virus affects some people so lightly they show no symptoms while others end up in an ICU and dying. In addition, it provides links for more information:

https://www.livescience.com/amp/why-covid-19-coronavirus-deadly-for-some-people.html

This raises a question of what choices we can make to lower our Covid19 risk. While some things like blood type, age and genetics are beyond our control, other things are within our control and we can make changes to lower our risks of infection and death.

While there is much talk of physical things to do like hand washing, distancing and reducing unnecessary travel, I have read nothing about medical conditions that are partly under our control.

The father of a friend of mine has given up smoking. I have been eating healthier and exercising and I have lost over 15 pounds (while not medically obese I was “a few pounds” too heavy and approaching obesity). People who have diabetes need to be vigilant in keeping it under control.

As these medical condition and their relationship to Covid19 becomes clear, a risk profile could be actuarially developed to let people know their risk level and what activities can be taken that have a lower risk for them; a high risk person would need to stay sheltered-in-place while a low risk person could feel more confidence in going grocery shopping (with proper precautions in place).

While the debate continues on lockdowns and political responses to Covid19, there is very little discussion as to the personal factors that affect getting the infection and if so, it’s severity. The link below is a good discussion of the factors why this virus affects some people so lightly they show no symptoms while others end up in an ICU and dying. In addition, it provides links for more information:

https://www.livescience.com/amp/why-covid-19-coronavirus-deadly-for-some-people.html

This raises a question of what choices we can make to lower our Covid19 risk. While some things like blood type, age and genetics are beyond our control, other things are within our control and we can make changes to lower our risks of infection and death.

While there is much talk of physical things to do like hand washing, distancing and reducing unnecessary travel, I have read nothing about medical conditions that are partly under our control.

The father of a friend of mine has given up smoking. I have been eating healthier and exercising and I have lost over 15 pounds (while not medically obese I was “a few pounds” too heavy and approaching obesity). People who have diabetes need to be vigilant in keeping it under control.

As these medical condition and their relationship to Covid19 becomes clear, a risk profile could be actuarially developed to let people know their risk level and what activities can be taken that have a lower risk for them; a high risk person would need to stay sheltered-in-place while a low risk person could feel more confidence in going grocery shopping (with proper precautions in place).

Thanks for sharing this. I think I will be giving up my occasional weed smoking habit until the vaccine comes up and take oil caps instead when I need to chill down.

Thanks for sharing this. I think I will be giving up my occasional weed smoking habit until the vaccine comes up and take oil caps instead when I need to chill down.

No good reason to give up weed. At times, Doctor Birx seemed "distracted" at her confusing press conference on Friday afternoon.

LOL. Some people is switching to edibles, like Bill Maher. I am still smoking my beloved water pipe.

Me too. And reading a new biography of Andy Warhol and a new book by Woody Allen. I didn't realize Warhol appeared in an episode of "The Love Boat."

On the show,

I did not know that either. I was a kid when I watched that sitcom back in Argentina. If a I saw Andy, I did not know Who He was.

On that episode, a passenger from Kansas called Andy a "flakeball."

And a drag queen role was cut from the first draft of the script. Warhol did meet Suzanne Somers, Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart.