Coming together to fight the pandemic

bigjoey
This topic is 1485 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The news has been filled with stories about people being brought together to fight the pandemic.

Neighbors who did not know each other are getting acquainted. People are asking others: “Do you need anything?”

There was a story about an animal shelter that was completely empty as people became “foster parents” to the animals there (I wonder after the pandemic how many will be kept and find a permanent home).

Restaurants are providing free meals and food to hospital workers. I am involved with a meals-on-wheels program whose requests for help have doubled and the volunteers have stepped up to shoulder that burden.

On the international front, at least temporarily, differences are being set aside to fight the common Covid enemy:

https://momentmag.com/israelis-and-palestinians-work-together-to-fight-covid-19/

If there is a silver lining to this pandemic, it is seeing strangers helping each other. This is an opportunity for this to become “shining hour.”

Each of us can help. If you do not know your neighbor, introduce yourself (from a safe distance) and ask if they need help. If you have room in your budget, food pantries are in dire need of funds.

If you know a doctor or nurse, call them and ask what you can do? Deliver cooked meals for them or baked goods to take to the hospital break room. Perhaps run an errand for them.

People who are isolated often appreciate just a simple call and someone with whom to talk. Reach out to those people you have been meaning to call but somehow never found the time.

I cannot overemphasize how important it is to contact someone who lives alone. Not just to ensure they are not sick, but to keep them connected. I recently retired from my career at Christmas. I was surprised at a couple of people who contacted me in January and February to keep in touch. Both are older single women, so I have been in contact with them during this time and I can tell it helps one whose family in not in the area a lot. It helps me also! Have had a couple of Zoom "Happy Hours" and it lifts my spirits tremendously.

I cannot overemphasize how important it is to contact someone who lives alone. Not just to ensure they are not sick, but to keep them connected. I recently retired from my career at Christmas. I was surprised at a couple of people who contacted me in January and February to keep in touch. Both are older single women, so I have been in contact with them during this time and I can tell it helps one whose family in not in the area a lot. It helps me also! Have had a couple of Zoom "Happy Hours" and it lifts my spirits tremendously.

I have a few friends who are having Zoom lunches together and enjoy the digital companionship.

I agree that for older single people the isolation can be very hard. This is such a simple thing and it can be very meaningful.

Great story of people making masks to give away:

https://www.kmbc.com/amp/article/free-masks-to-be-given-thousands-in-kcs-3rd-district/32193357

These are the stories that will help define our response. I have often suggested people read “The Home We Build Together” by Jonathan Sacks. It is about rebuilding our civic associations by people coming together. It is a rebuilding of the America described by Alexis de Tocqueville.