Drinking more during the lockdown?

Pensant
This topic is 1497 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to be one of the most ridiculous posts on his thread.

Nothing at all ridiculous. Appreciate your sharing. I too have a cabinet full of liquor and (pre-Covid) I NEVER cooked. Prior to all this craziness, I had no sense of the connection between my drinking and socializing. Refreshing eye opener.

When I went to the University of Pennsylvania back in the ‘60’s, those state stores had higher prices than surrounding states (and a higher age for purchase). Students use to go home on weekends with mostly empty suitcases and return with as much liquor as they could reasonably lift in the suitcase.

So much for government protection from monopolies charging higher prices?.

In the 1960s only beer was sold in Center County, Pennsylvania where Penn State is located. So price at state liquor store wouldn't have mattered to Penn State students. (smile)

And based on my one Saturday night in St. Petersburg, Russians would have a way to drinking no matter what.

Luckily, we lived in Philly, and just drove across the river to NJ when we needed stuff for a party. But one had to be careful, because PA authorities watched the liquor stores there for folks with PA plates who bought a lot.

I knew of a “thrifty” elderly couple who would drive from Philly over the border to Delaware to purchase liquor. Same thing as NJ. LEO would watch for out of state plates, especially PA, at the liquor store, follow them, and stop them as soon as they crossed the state line back into PA. This couple made an afternoon of their trips. They’d stop at the liquor store as soon as arriving, purchase their booze, spot the LEO, drive to a diner, have lunch, then drive home. The LEO would lose interest after they stopped at the diner. They thought of themselves as a modern day Bonnie & Clyde.